After suffering from undiagnosed depression, which resulted in miraculously surviving a suicide attempt at 16 years old, Luke began sharing his message of hope and has since spoken to tens of thousands across the nation. Now, he’s building a platform to teach others how to share their voice with the world.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Luke shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:58] – Luke is currently 20 years old, going through college, has a job, and feels he is called to teach people how to speak
- [01:33] – Luke’s expertise is in teen suicide prevention and depression
- [01:45] – There are not a lot of people working on it because there is no money in it and it is not easy
- [02:08] – Luke loves sharing his story when talking to teens going through depression
- [02:20] – Luke is developing new ways to be unashamed and is teaching young professionals how to share their voice
- [03:00] – What is something that we do not know about teen suicide that we should?
- [03:38] – Most of the time people are too ashamed to talk about it, but shouldn’t be because it is a medical disease and people can get help
- 04:50 – Luke heard about The Freedom Journal after listening to JLD’s podcast
- [05:40] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? – Luke’s first goal was five speaking engagements for 2017
- [06:30] – Luke changed his goal to creating his first online course to teach people how to speak
- [07:15] – JLD reiterates that in setting your SMART goal, focus on the R- relevance
- [07:55] – The Freedom Journal helped Luke discover his goal
- [08:48] – How do you define productivity? – “Consistently accomplishing tasks that are directly or indirectly necessary to achieve my goals.”
- [09:17] – Luke is struggling with the ‘necessary to achieve my goals’ part as he has many tasks he needs to do as part of his business
- 09:34 – JLD uses the Stay Focused app to block out distractions for a period of time to stay productive
- [10:04] – How do you define discipline? – “It is forming and keeping habits.”
- [10:30] – JLD explains that habits will form the foundation of discipline
- [11:23] – Luke shares that it is hard for him to keep up certain habits
- [11:34] – How do you define the word focus? – “For the short term, it is concentrating on your #1 task. In the long term, it is concentrating on your #1 goal.”
- 12:24 – In The Mastery Journal, there are four sessions where there is Focus Time and Refresh Time
- [13:25] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Half education and half motivation.”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Choose your own words, don’t let others choose them for you.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Telling myself who I am as a 20 year old.”
- Share an internet resource with Fire Nation – “aTime Logger app”
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson
- 15:29 – JLD uses a similar time logging app called Rescue Time
- [16:59] – Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter is taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “I would sell the laptop for $1000 and then enroll in my local Community College and enroll in a video class. I know I have access to the entire campus, laptops and video equipment. I’m going to apply for a business license, buy a cellphone, buy a hosting domain and CRM. I will set-up my LinkedIn, socials, start blogging and start speaking to students about consulting them to speak for free. The feedback will be used for references. I’ll register for a free teachable account and upload a video to the course.”
- [18:50] – Speaking to all the 20-somethings: identify your passion, skills, biggest struggles, and align those with a need in the market
- [19:23] – Be unashamed of who you are and use your struggles as vehicles to relate to others and grow stronger
- 19:32 – Connect with Luke
3 Key Points:
- Speaking out is an opportunity to get help—there is no shame in what you’re facing.
- Assess your goals by thinking long-term and decide what needs you want to address.
- It is important to always remind yourself of who you are.
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- Stay Focused – an app that can block out distractions for a certain period of time
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson – Luke recommended book
- aTimeLogger – a time management app
- Rescue Time – also a time management app
- City National Bank: Looking for financial resources to help get your business to that next level? Visit CNB.com/fire! City National Bank member FDIC.
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!