Mihoko is an inventor of The Carlin. The Carlin is a patent-pending hair accessory that makes styling hair a breeze. Born in Tokyo, Japan, she came to the US alone at age 12. Before launching TheCarlin.co, she worked at major financial service firms like Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch as a CPA and an investment advisor for 12 plus years.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Mihoko shares her incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – Mihoko has been listening to EOFire since 2008 for inspiration!
- [01:40] – The Carlin was created because Mihoko had a very difficult time styling her hair in the morning—it takes her about 2 hours every day!
- [02:15] – Mihoko was caught by her boss wearing the bright pink plastic curls and was embarrassed
- [02:54] – At that moment, she knew she had to find a better way to style her hair
- [03:01] – Mihoko grew up doing ballet and the updo was inspired by that
- [03:10] – She never had the intention to sell The Carlin – she just made it for herself
- [03:22] – She gave out around 100 Carlins before getting serious about making it into a business
- [03:35] – Mihoko flew her mother from Tokyo, Japan to New Jersey to make The Carlin
- [04:15] – It is still patent pending and can only be bought at her site online and select stores in Colorado
- [04:31] – Since launching in September 2016, she has sold over 1500 units!
- [04:44] – In three months, her sales have been $24k
- [04:50] – JLD tells Fire Nation to keep their eyes and ears open and fill the need
- [05:29] – JLD sees a video of Mihoko’s pug named Otis
- [05:38] – The Carlin means pug in French; her product is named after her dog
- [05:51] – JLD: never compare yourself to others
- [06:21] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? “If I can learn about productivity from anyone, it had to be you.”
- [07:00] – “I was impressed by the attention to detail of how it was manufactured. It is a really well-made product.”
- 07:08 – Mihoko talks about how she asked JLD about manufacturing and he introduced her to the Prouduct team and Richie Norton
- [07:37] – They are now manufacturing The Carlin
- [08:09] – It is important to find the right team to make it happen
- 09:20 – Mihoko is excited about The Mastery Journal as The Freedom Journal helped her focus on what is important
- [11:21] – Mihoko donates 10% of her net profit to pug rescue organizations
- [12:13] – How do you define productivity? “I rate my productivity based on whether I was able to execute actions that are most important to my business growth.”
- [13:12] – Mihoko fell asleep on the highway, crushed her car, and had to learn how to take care of herself
- [13:54] – How do you define discipline? “Having the ability to get things done even if you don’t feel like it.”
- [15:13] – Mihoko’s top priority is to serve her customers and to get the word out about The Carlin
- [16:24] – How do you define the word focus? “Focus is finding out the best strategy to go on with business”
- 19:27 – The Mastery Journal will help you master productivity, discipline and focus!
- [20:05] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I did not want to disappoint my family”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – JLD: “The meaningful accomplishments take time. Learn the basics. Build the foundation, and take one step at a time. Over time, the fog will lift and you will realize how far you’ve come.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – I live simply and I manage my finances well
- Share an internet resource, with Fire Nation – Coopt
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Anyone Can Do It by Sahar and Bobby Hashemi
- 27:03 – Learn more about The Carlin
- 28:01 – Contact Mihoko via email
- [28:56] – Learn from doing, learn from executing
3 key points:
- Find a need and look for a way to address it.
- Discipline is doing the things you don’t feel like doing.
- Learn from doing and executing the things that are important to your business.
- Prouduct – The manufacturer of the Carlin and also The Freedom Journal
- Coopt – Plugin that allows customers to get discounts when they share your product
- Anyone Can Do It – Mihoko’s recommended book
- The Carlin – Mihoko’s Website
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- Athletic Greens: The most complete whole food supplement on the market. If you check out AG, you’ll receive 20 single serve travel packs valued at $99 completely free with your first order. Just visit athleticgreens.com/fire!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!