Ryan is a musician and marketer turned developer and co-founder of Fomo (usefomo.com). He formerly ran growth at dozens of venture-backed companies.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Ryan shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:48] – Ryan has played over 300 shows as a musician and has made no money
- [01:56] – Musicians make about 10% of the money you pay and split it between band members
- [02:13] – The difference between a local artist and an artist that does shows
- [03:23] – Ryan’s expertise is in understanding customers, building widgets, utilities and platforms
- [04:30] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Make your own zen garden—allow your customers to do something remarkable in your place of business
- [06:22] – Define your market and respond accordingly
- [08:24] – “FOMO” means Fear Of Missing Out
- [08:50] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: It was the fall of 2014, and everything was going well. Ryan decided to build a house out of shipping containers in the mountains. Ryan flew to Atlanta, bought the land, drew blueprints, and found a guy to make the house. Over the next few months, Ryan got ripped off—the guy did nothing.
- [11:05] – Trust BUT verify
- [11:38] – Vendors are not your team
- [12:51] – Contractors are not part of your team
- [13:15] – Build a strong team for the long run
- 13:39 – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Ryan was moving from NYC. He stepped away, quit the tech company he was working at, and put himself back in fire. With nothing but his Macbook, he logged into his Feedly and Google accounts and then he started emailing founders of businesses and it worked!
- [15:58] – Ryan wrote about freelancing
- [16:14] – He was able to generate 5x his income
- [16:43] – “Nobody knows what they’re doing; confidence is key!”
- [18:17] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Relaunching my career as a musician”
- [18:52] – The Lightning Round
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “All you have to do is whatever it takes”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I just don’t sleep a lot”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Motivation
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Platform Revolution
- [21:47] – Don’t become an entrepreneur for money – do it for the freedom
- 21:56 – Connect with Ryan via email
- 22:03 – Try Fomo for free here
3 Key Points:
- Never trust someone without verifying if he/she is trustworthy.
- Build a strong team; independent contractors are not a part of your team.
- Have the confidence to market yourself.
- Motivation – Ryan’s small business resource
- Platform Revolution – Ryan’s Top Business Book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Fomo – Ryan’s website
- Feedly and Google Ryan’s accounts he used to access business owners
- Connect with Ryan via email
- FireUp.co – Turn your website visitors into leads!
- Free Podcast Course – A free 15-day course on how to Create, Grow, & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
- Billy Gene Marketing: Visit CopyOurAds.com and if you’re the first 100 to sign up, Billy Gene will mail you his best performing Facebook ad campaigns for FREE. You just cover the shipping!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: A 15-day course that will share how to create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!
4) The Webinar Course: A 10-day course that will share how to create and present Webinars that convert!