Dave knows what it is like to struggle in business. He also knows what it is like to have very profitable small businesses. He is a Certified Professional Business Coach and the Author of the book Profit Yourself Healthy.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Dave shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:56] – Dave started his own business in 1986, which he eventually sold
- [01:13] – He got into another business in 1988, and he still has that one today
- [01:29] – Dave got an MBA and started business coaching to help small business owners make a difference
- [02:35] – When Dave went back, he didn’t qualify for the MBA program
- [03:24] – “MBA takes you somewhere else”
- [04:22] – Surround yourself with go-getters
- [05:03] – In 2004, Dave realized he couldn’t do his MBA because of his children
- [06:37] – Dave’s expertise is in small businesses
- [08:33] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Three things: profit mindset, have goals, and have a business strategy
- [10:08] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: A couple of years ago, Dave went out hunting. He didn’t have a gun in his tent, and there was a predatory bear that mauled his friend. Six months later, Dave is still thinking about the trauma of the event. It brought back memories from 1998, when he and his partner set up a business that led him to lose $270K in the first year.
- [13:14] – “If you’ve got current customers, focus on your customers”
- [13:36] – Focus on conversion rates, margins, and expenses
- [15:42] – JLD talks about his transition from the army
- [16:28] – Learn to follow your gut
- [18:00] – “We’re under attack on a daily basis”
- [18:47] – Think of the ways you can go out of business so that you can work against these factors
- [19:30] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Strategic planning”
- [20:44] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Fear of not making money
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – You can’t do it yourself
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Meditating and exercise
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Gmail
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – One-Page Business Plan – this book will help you get focused
- 24:52 – Connect with Dave via email
- 24:58 – Get Dave’s book for FREE! Go to Profit Yourself Healthy
3 Key Points:
- Spend as much time as you can with like-minded people.
- Focus on the customers you already have and build that relationship to increase profitability.
- Follow your intuition and trust your judgement!
- Gmail – Dave’s small business resource
- One-Page Business Plan – Dave’s Top Business Book
- Profit Yourself Healthy – Dave’s book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Profit Yourself Healthy – Dave’s website
- Connect with Dave via email
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
- Athletic Greens: The most complete whole food supplement on the market. If you check out AG, you’ll receive 20 single serve travel packs valued at $99 completely free with your first order. Just visit athleticgreens.com/fire!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: A 15-day course that will share how to create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!
4) The Webinar Course: A 10-day course that will share how to create and present Webinars that convert!