Kevin is Senior Maverick at Wired magazine. He co-founded Wired in 1993 and served as its Executive Editor for its first seven years. He is also founding editor and co-publisher of the popular Cool Tools website, which has been reviewing tools daily since 2003. He co-founded the ongoing Hackers’ Conference and was involved with the launch of the WELL, a pioneering online service started in 1985.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Kevin shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:37] – Welcoming Kevin to the show.
- [01:10] – Kevin is a college dropout and spent his twenties as a photographer in Asia.
- [01:43] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – He has had a blog since 2003.
- [02:24] – Speaking about books.
- [03:16] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In the mid-2000’s.
- [04:45] – Looking back, what would you have done differently? – We would have focused on what made us new and different.
- [06:02] – Entrepreneurial AH-HAMoment: The moment when I started Wired magazine.
- [06:49] – He heard the tagline for the magazine, which was that it felt like it was “mailed back from the future.”
- [07:58] – What’s something else that made Wired work? – There were a lot of near death experiences with Wired.
- [10:22] – Biggest weakness? – I hate negotiating.
- [11:38] – Biggest strength?– Detecting “new things that are on the way to becoming big things.”
- [12:23] – He loves uncovering those upcoming successes.
- [12:38] – What’s something you predicted correctly, that later became massive? – He wrote a book about the Internet before it was really present.
- 13:30 – A time when he was sure about something, but it flopped – He thought Ebay wouldn’t be very big.
- [14:09] – He organized the first virtual reality experience, but he was way ahead of the technology.
- [14:40] – What has Kevin most fired up today? – Artificial intelligence will have the same level of change as the Industrial Revolution.
- 16:48 – What would you recommend for people who want to learn about artificial intelligence? – The Inevitable
- 17:18 – The Master Algorithm
- [17:36] – Buy Google’s AI instead of just learning about it.
- [19:54] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Realizing I could hire people who were better than me.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Jeff Bezos: “Avoid making decisions based on competition.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Reading.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation –WebCaster
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities
- Imagine you woke up in a brand new world, and all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – I would spend my time exploring and looking for possibilities.
- Parting piece of advice – Keep making new mistakes.
- 24:25 – kk.org
3 Key Points:
- Find what makes your company new or different.
- Know what your gift is, and focus on that.
- Keep experimenting and trying until you find success.
- WebCaster – A tool to create your own show
- The Inevitable and The Master Algorithm – Resources to help you learn about artificial intelligence
- Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities – A book that gives you access to hundreds of tools for your business
- @kevin2kelly on Twitter
- KK.org – Learn more about Kevin Kelly and his latest projects
- FreePodcastCourse.com – A 15 day free course on how to create, grow and monetize your own podcast!
- Braintree: Looking for an easier way to accept payments from your customers? Braintree lets you accept all forms of payment in over one hundred and thirty currencies!
- HostPapa: Looking for a powerful web hosting solution and cloud-based productivity tools for your business? Use promo code FIRE to save 15% off their shared web hosting packages!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: A 15-day course that will share how to create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!
4) The Webinar Course: A 10-day course that will share how to create and present Webinars that convert!