Alex Banayan is the author of the new business book The Third Door, which chronicles his five-year quest tracking down Bill Gates, Lady Gaga, Warren Buffett, Maya Angelou, Steven Spielberg, and dozens more of the world’s most successful people to uncover how they broke through and launched their careers.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Third Door Book – Alex’s book
3 Value Bombs
1) The biggest mistake people make is that they look up to interviewers they admire, they look up to their styles and they copy that. They are focusing on what those styles are, not why those styles exist.
2) There are dangers of over persistence. You can bang on the door so many times that people will call the police on you.
3) You can give someone all the best wisdom and knowledge in the world and their life can still feel stuck. But if you changed what some will believe is possible, they’ll never be the same.
ZipRecruiter: Successful businesses rely on quality people. But finding quality people can be tough. That’s why I love ZipRecruiter! Its powerful technology scans thousands of resumes to identify people with the right skills and experience, and then actively invites them to apply for your job! That means you get quality candidates fast. And right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free! Visit ZipRecruiter.com/fire. ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Lady Gaga: Uncovering how the world’s most successful people launched their careers with Alex Banayan
[01:56] – Alex shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
[03:10] – How did his journey start?
- He realized maybe he wasn’t on the right path. Maybe he was on the path someone placed him on, and he’s just rolling down.
- He started going to the library and reading books about business and self-help, but he didn’t find any one book that he really wanted to read. He thought about writing a book that he wanted read.
- He joined The Price is Right and won a sail boat, sold it, and used the money to fund the book.
[11:24] – What’s the one biggest factor every single entrepreneur has in common?
- They all treat life and business the exact same way.
[13:40] – How did Alex get these interviews? What was the strategy behind the interviews?
- Alex shares one of the most miraculous moments of his life: it was while he was sitting on the sidewalk, talking to his best friend, and Larry King walked in front of them
- He invited Larry King to have breakfast with him, and Larry King said yes.
[23:06] – What was that one golden nugget from your breakfast with Larry King?
- One of the biggest mistake people make is copying the interview styles of the people you admire. Do not focus on the styles, but focus on why those styles exist.
- Understand which interview styles will make your interviewees comfortable, because that is what creates the best interview.
[27:45] – Alex shares a list of some of the most practical and tactical tools he has picked up from the entrepreneurs he chatted with.
- Tim Ferriss taught him a secret about cold emails that WORKS! – Alex shares this secret – tune in, Fire Nation :)
- He also learned the key for how to know when to keep going and when to stop.
[33:32] – The Silver Medalist theory.
[34:39] – Alex shares some of the most massive mistakes he has made in his life.
- He shares a story about a mistake he made with Warren Buffett. He made it a priority to interview Warren Buffet, he spent 6 months reading books about him and kept sending him letters inviting him for an interview.
- Alex explains the dangers of over-persistence.
[39:03] – What is Alex’s definition of success?
- Alex shares an experience he had interviewing Steve Wozniak.
- “Being part of the corporate bureaucracy is the exact opposite of my definition of success.” – Steve Wozniak
[45:48] – Alex’s parting piece of guidance
- You can give someone all the best wisdom and knowledge in the world and their life can still feel stuck. But if you changed what some will believe is possible, they’ll never be the same.
- Connect with Alex on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- ThirdDoorBook.com – Alex’s book
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!