Ben Butler is the Founder of Top Hat — the 7 year-old, 11-person creative agency with offices in Pittsburgh and St. Pete, FL. Fun fact: they once did a project entirely in exchange for beer!
Top Hat – The Difference is Black and White.
Please Advise! Newsletter – Want to get more hard-hitting marketing advice, twice a week? Subscribe and get looped in!
3 Value Bombs
1) Functioning Failure Disorder is not being able to recognize that, perhaps you are not getting into your goals as an entrepreneur.
2) You might be experiencing Functioning Failure Disorder if you look attractive on the front of your business, but behind the scenes there is a lot of deprivation and challenges going on.
3) Find a way to break yourself free to achieve the life that you want.
Scaling With Systems: Learn how you can wake up every day to a calendar filled with qualified prospects without having to spend thousands on ads and complicated funnels! Sign up for this free training at ScalingWithSystems.com/cash
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Functioning Failure Disorder – What It Is and What You Can Do About It with Ben Butler
[1:02] – Ben shares something interesting about himself that most people do not know.
- He is only 28 years old and he started his company – Top Hat – when he was still in college.
[2:34] – What is Functioning Failure Disorder?
- Functioning Failure Disorder is not being able to recognize that, perhaps you are not getting into your goals as an entrepreneur.
- You might be experiencing Functioning Failure Disorder if you look attractive on the front of your business. but behind the scenes there is a lot of deprivation and challenges going on.
- It is important to identify it as soon as possible so you can correct it.
[5:00] – Symptom 1 of Functioning Failure Disorder: Wanting freedom, but never finding it.
- The most prominent symptom an entrepreneur has.
- Build a process and have a supply-and-demand balance in your business.
[9:06] – How do you define freedom?
- Do what you want, when you want, where you want.
- You can define freedom by defining your priorities and objectives, and how are you matching up to those.
- Financial Freedom
- Having time for your family
[10:21] – Symptom 2 of Functioning Failure Disorder: Intending, but never achieving an exit.
- 2 Things that you want for your business:
- To grow your business into a life-sustaining lifestyle.
- To grow your business so you can sell it.
- Think of the Minimum Valuable Product that you need to sell your business within the timeframe and the price that you would like.
- Run through the finish line.
[17:58] – Symptom 3 of Functioning Failure Disorder: Never-ending debt.
- You cannot be a constant debt machine.
- Define the reason why you still have debts.
[21:25] – Symptom 4 of Functioning Failure Disorder: Consistently failing in your marketing, or worse, having no clue how your marketing is performing.
- It is imperative to have a basic understanding of marketing.
- Build it. Market it. It will come.
- Know the value of marketing and the right channels for your business.
- Know your business objectives.
- Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-constrained.
[25:36] – Ben’s parting piece of guidance.
- Think about where you want your business to go, and ask yourself “are you achieving it?”
- Take time to review: How, Why, or What. If you are a Functioning Failure, that is the first step to becoming a success.
- Find a way to break yourself free to achieve the life that you want.
- Top Hat – The Difference is Black and White!
- Please Advise! Newsletter – Want to get more hard-hitting marketing advice, twice a week? Subscribe and get looped in!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!