In 2010, Bryan and Shannon Miles were the only employees. Today, BELAY boosts a corporate team of 60+ and a U.S. contractor base of over 700 people serving clients all over the US. A 100% virtual company, they’ve made the Inc 5000 list 4 times and made the #1 spot for Entrepreneur Magazine’s Best Company Culture.
Subscribe to EOFire
BelaySolutions – Check out Bryan & Shannon’s free download that will help you save 15 hours a week!
Boomerang for Gmail – helps you manage your inbox
3 Value Bombs
1) It’s a huge thing to delegate the results to your people, not just the task. It communicates all sort of good things to their hearts.
2) When you find somebody who loves to do what you hate, it is such a gift, and you’ll see things accelerate in the business very quickly when you turn this over.
3) The day that the business doesn’t need you anymore is the day that you own the business. Until then, you run the business.
Klaviyo: Growing your ecommerce business starts with creating amazing customer experiences. To learn how Klaviyo can help you build high-value customer relationships — and make more money for your business — visit Klaviyo.com/fire!
ZipRecruiter: When it comes to hiring, you can save time and get more qualified candidates fast with ZipRecruiter. And right now, you can try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire! ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to do less & be 10x more productive
[01:33] – Bryan and Shannon shares something about themselves that most people don’t know.
- Shannon had a season of time when she thought that she needed to not be in Belay anymore.
- When Bryan was 17, he was offered to play soccer in the UK. He could have had a shot in the English Premier League if he had worked really hard at it.
[03:02] – Are you spending your time each day on what makes the most impact on your business?
- Delegation is the key to unlocking the lid on a leader’s potential.
- There’re so many things that we can do that have such great impact on our business. But sometimes it’s just easier to take some of the lower level tasks because it gives you a sense of completion.
[04:44] – Bryan and Shannon talk about trusting your team.
- Trust is such a powerful currency.
- It’s a huge thing to delegate the results to your people, not just the task. It communicates all sort of good things to their hearts.
- Trust is the lifeblood to help your people get going and knit themselves to the fabric of the organization.
- The opposite of trust is suspicion.
- Nothing great ever was accomplished by one person.
[09:53] – There’s somebody who would love to do the task that you hate doing. How can that help take things to the next level?
- It starts with recognizing what you hate.
- There’s exponential return on focusing your energy where you’re most effective.
- When you find somebody who loves to do what you hate, it is such a gift and you’ll see things accelerate in the business very quickly when you turn this over.
- Love-hate thing is a really great way to look at what you need to get rid of and a handful of things you want to keep.
[13:38] – Do you have a specific example from your business when you hired somebody who loves doing the tasks that you hate doing?
- Shannon shares a time when she worked on their books to avoid extra expenses, but she had a hard time and it took her forever to finish the task. They hired someone to handle their books and she got her time back – and her energy.
[17:03] – What do they have to say to the person who’s too busy to train someone to help them with the day to day tasks?
- Sometimes we wait so long to ask for help that the idea of spending one minute training somebody feels overwhelming.
- If you plan on growing, you definitely have to figure out a way to get over the training.
[20:48] – We are alphas. But what’s Shannon and Bryan’s opinion about those who feel like it’s a sign of weakness to ask somebody for help?
- It’s not a sign of weakness if you’re giving something up. It’s a sign of leadership that you’re seeing vision past your role, and that you’re growing the organization.
- The day that the business doesn’t need you anymore is the day that you own the business. Until then, you run the business.
[24:09] – Bryan and Shannon talk about automating different parts of your day and different parts of your business so you can leverage and grow.
- They are using Boomerang for Gmail which is great for scheduling emails.
- Make that stretch. Make that change. Ask your team to move in a different direction with an application so you can behave like the company you want to become.
[28:21] – Bryan and Shannon’s parting piece of guidance
- You are not the only person who can do the things that you’re doing.
- There are things in your business that are holding you back from growing that you really just have to let go of it.
- Leadership is a stewardship — meaning you’re a manager of something that you’re responsible for.
- BelaySolutions – Check out Bryan & Shannon’s free download that will help you save 15 hours a week!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!