Christopher is frequently cited as the “father of the Christian coaching movement”. He transitioned out of ownership of the largest psychotherapy practice in Tampa Bay and founded Professional Christian Coaching Institute. A best-selling author, keynote, entrepreneur, and podcast host.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Chris shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:01] – He closed his practice in 1998
- [01:09] – They sold their home to live on their family’s farm and he has worked from home since
- [01:41] – They coach people around the idea of living “outside of the box”
- [01:54] – Chris’ area of expertise is in intentional living
- [02:30] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: The primary principle is that intentionality comes from within a person and not from the outside.
- [03:21] – Proverbs 20:5 – The purpose of a person’s heart are deep waters, and one who has understanding draws them out
- [04:01] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Chris’ worst moment happened when he and his wife were 34—they had 3 children and a 4th on the way. They wanted to explore a life that was in alignment with their values. They sold their house and practice with only $40K in the bank.
- [05:08] – They bought a trailer to set on a property and sold their 2 beautiful vehicles for a used minivan
- [05:28] – They dropped health care for a year
- [05:40] – Things went from bad to worse
- [05:56] – Chris tested coaching for a year and established a telephone and online client base before they moved
- [06:27] – When they moved, they had lines that couldn’t even handle dial-up internet
- [06:50] – It took 3 months for them to get dial-up and Chris had already lost some of his clients by then
- [07:04] – 2 weeks later a tornado hit near their area and the surge destroyed all his devices – phone, fax, computer, copier, scanner – everything
- [07:30] – And he only had $742
- [08:16] – “You plan the dive and you dive the plan”
- [08:27] – Chris didn’t look for other plans/options and stuck to Plan A
- [08:47] – Persevere – work the plan
- [09:30] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: The development of an entrepreneurial training program for children where Chris meets with kids every week and they do a live, entrepreneurial-focused lesson on how to do business launches
- [11:32] – Chris makes sure his kids have a strong understanding of technology
- [11:51] – Their 12 year old is great with graphic design and Chris uses his stuff
- [12:25] – By 13 years old, one of his kids was making graphics for businesses around the world
- [13:48] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “We just launched a 5th business and it is a media company. It’s a publishing house, Mt. Tabor Media, but it’s also a video and audio production company”
- 15:27 – Chris has a weekly podcast – Professional Christian Coaching Today
- [16:23] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was principally, ignorance”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Whatever it is that you’re going to pursue, you need to establish a system for it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Attend to one of the medical treatments that I have and then private, devotional reading and prayer time”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Professional Christian Coaching Today
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The E-Myth and Deep Work
- [20:34] – Get clear between yourself and God
- 21:18 – Connect with Chris on his podcast or on his website
3 Key Points:
- Live an intentional life where your focus comes from within you and not from the outside.
- Execute the plan you laid down and work out the kinks.
- For any dream you wish to pursue, you need to create a system to tackle it.
- Professional Christian Coaching Today – Chris’ small business resource
- The E-Myth and Deep Work – Chris’ Top Business Books
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Chris’ website
- Free Goals Course – A free 8 day course on how to set and accomplish your biggest goals!
- FireUP – Turn your website visitors into leads and paying customers!
Fun Pic of us hanging in San Juan, PR!
- UPS Store: The time to promote yourself to Business Owner is now. Visit TheUPSStoreFranchising.com/fire to get started today!
- Capterra: An easy-to-use website with over 400 categories of software to choose from! Visit Capterra.com/fire and find the software that will help you do what you do better.
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, grow, and monetize YOUR Podcast!