Evan Goldberg is responsible for product strategy and development at Oracle NetSuite Global Business Unit. Prior to Oracle’s acquisition of NetSuite, Goldberg was CTO and Chairman of the NetSuite board. Before co-founding NetSuite in 1998, Goldberg spent eight years at Oracle Corporation, where he served as a vice president. He was involved in a variety of projects, all focused on making powerful database technology more accessible to users. When he left Oracle, he started mBED Software and built groundbreaking website technology. Goldberg holds a B.A. Summa Cum Laude in Applied Mathematics from Harvard College.
NetSuite – The #1 Cloud ERP.
Evan’s LinkedIn – Connect with Evan on LinkedIn.
Oracle NetSuite LinkedIn – Connect with NetSuite on LinkedIn.
Oracle NetSuite Twitter – Follow NetSuite on Twitter.
Oracle NetSuite Facebook – Follow and Like NetSuite on Facebook.
Oracle NetSuite Instagram – Follow NetSuite on Instagram.
3 Value Bombs
1) Stay true to your vision. Stay focused up to the degree that you can.
2) People are settling into new routines. That’s were a lot of opportunities live right now that haven’t been served by companies in the past.
3) For every business, go back to your customers and see how their life has changed since the pandemic came.
CrowdHealth: Now there’s a better way to pay for healthcare: CrowdHealth! Sign up today to get your first month free when you use promo code FIRE at JoinCrowdHealth.com! CrowdHealth is not health insurance. Terms & Conditions may apply.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: The Secrets to Scaling a Business with Evan Goldberg.
[1:46] – Evan shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- The conventional wisdom is that when you’re making a product or service, you go and find problems of your customers you want to solve, and find a linear passion about what best ways to solve them. Your competitors will come up with the same answers.
- Sometimes you have to think outside the box to figure out how you can differentiate even if that differentiation is not through conventional thinking (where you think of the most obvious ways to solve a problem).
[3:31] – Evan’s motivation in becoming an entrepreneur and starting NetSuite.
- He was trying to figure out the use of computer in terms of improving people’s daily lives.
- Entrepreneurs spend an enormous amount of time building their business. That’s when he thought of the things that would make that process easier.
[4:18] – How does NetSuite solve entrepreneurs’ problems?
- One of the things NetSuite does is it’s flexible.
- Beneath the surface functionalities is a platform that allows partners, developers, and people implementing solutions within a company to modify the solution and tailor it not just with the industry you’re in, but how you run your business.
- They have a complete solution for a fast-growing entrepreneurial business where everything is in a box.
[6:43] – Identifying high-octane growth opportunities for your own specific business.
- The best source of both feedback and new sales is from your existing customer base. Know what you can do for them
- Go in and watch your customers use your products and services. See where they struggle.
[11:22] – Evan’s advice for companies who are hungry for growth.
- There’s a lot of churn everywhere. People are sorting out what the new normal is.
- For every business, go back to your customers and see how their life has changed since the pandemic came.
- People are settling into new routines. That’s were a lot of opportunities live right now that haven’t been served by companies in the past.
[12:57] – Growing and scaling of startups without losing what makes them special and unique.
- The challenge is making your company feel small in the ways that you need it to while still scaling.
- Constant communication is important and embedding the rich history of the company with it.
- Promote the values that you want to have. Diversity, inclusion, hard work, empathy, and more. The organization wants to see the leadership applying these values.
[15:34] – The opportunities that are present right now that may not have been present previously.
- Multi-task as an organization. A lot of industries started delivering their products in new ways.
- It all comes down to flexibility. Customers and businesses need more flexibility than ever before.
[17:17] – Evan’s key takeaway and call to action for Fire Nation!
- Stay true to your vision. Stay focused up to the degree that you can. There are always opportunities. Some are going to move you closer to your North star, and some are going to move you away. Make a judgment call about which opportunities you will take on.
- NetSuite has a dashboard of all the information you need on a day-to-day basis to help you grow across all your channel of sales so you can focus on the vision and people that will propel you to greater heights.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!