Dr. Jay Feldman is an Osteopathic medical doctor and founder of Otter Public Relations, a PR agency with more than 30 employees internationally. Jay has more than 300K followers on social media and is the host of top business podcast, Mentors Collective. He is a contributor at Entrepreneur.com and has been featured in Forbes, Business Insider and other top networks!
Jay’s Instagram – Connect with Jay on Instagram!
Otter PR – Results-driven public relations
3 Value Bombs
1) If you want to build something huge, it requires complete dedication.
2) Avoid posting your political points and thoughts because it may lead to a crisis.
3) Consult, get help, and be prepared.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Protect Your Brand from a PR Crisis with Jay Feldman
[1:35] – Jay shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- He believes that if you want to build something huge, it requires complete dedication.
[3:33] – How did you go from a doctor to a PR agency owner?
- Jay was a dedicated doctor, but had an entrepreneurial side as well.
- Through his medical school and residency, he had grown a substantial social media following.
- One day, he went viral on social media for a post that he did back in 2007. A woman from across the country filed a case against him.
- He got suspended and hired a publicist who cost him almost everything he had saved up, and his publicist gave him the worst advice possible… it didn’t end well for him.
- His experience is what sparked Otter Public Relations.
[8:04] – Jay shares what he did during his crisis.
- He realized that he was not alone and the best advice that he could give if you find yourself in a similar situation is to stay quiet and find someone trustworthy to help you.
[9:26] – What do you mean by “brands are at risk of a media crisis right now”?
- If you have a company, be apolitical.
- Avoid posting your political points and thoughts because it may lead to a crisis.
- Brands need to tighten up with all past and current communications – and be mindful of everyone who is front-facing in your company.
[14:08] – What can we do to prepare for a PR crisis?
- Crisis planning is not just for big brands.
- Be prepared for something that might happen…
- Before something happens! Taking action beforehand rather than waiting for something to unfold is much more effective than waiting for an active crisis to occur.
- Hire someone who can create conflict resolution fast.
[16:14] – How should we respond if a crisis happens?
- Be quiet and find a professional to talk to and consult before you post or respond with any initial message.
- Accept all responsibilities.
- Take action and resolve the crisis.
[18:27] – What happens after a crisis?
- The worst is not about what happens online, rather what happens to your personal life and your identity after.
- Sometimes, you may need to re-brand.
- In the online aftermath, wherein the media gets involved, there will likely be negative reviews or threads posted.
- You can hire a professional to do positive manipulation for your brand to outrank the previous negative reviews.
[22:14] – Jay’s parting piece of guidance.
- The worst can happen to you, but in those moments, something beautiful can blossom.
- His desire to help other people to reclaim their identity became his motivation.
- You live in a dangerous world. The bigger you get, the more they are out to get you. The more you take, the more that they will try to get. Prepare ahead, and take action immediately.
- Consult, get help, and be prepared.
- Jay’s Instagram – Connect with Jay on Instagram!
- Otter PR – Results-driven public relations.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!