Jay is a Best-selling author and Co-owner of Papasan Properties Group with Keller Williams Realty in Austin, Texas. His most recent work with Gary Keller on The ONE Thing has garnered more than 200 appearances on the National Best-seller lists, including #1 on the Wall Street Journal Best-seller list.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Wunderlist – Jay’s small business resource
- Anything You Want – Jay’s top business book
- The ONE Thing – Learn how to start doing what you love
3 Key Points:
- Of all the things you could be doing – what should you be doing? What do you love? What feels right?
- Being the founder of a company doesn’t mean you have to be the CEO.
- Make appointments with yourself: have the discipline to do the things you love every day.
- Toptal: Find the perfect developer or designer to help bring your next project to live with Toptal’s 2-week, no risk trial. Visit Toptal.com/fire or shoot me an email and I’ll personally introduce you to an executive at Toptal who can help you get set up!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:05] – Has wanted to be an author since he was 12
- [02:00] – Jay’s wife is also an entrepreneur and runs a real estate company
- [03:03] – Having a strong home foundation is an extra edge
- [03:46] – Generates revenue from passive income – largely royalties and real estate
- [05:19] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Losing $514k in a handshake deal because of a mis-understanding
- [07:00] – Even when you’re working with people you know, like, and trust, get everything in writing
- [07:42] – Clear communication is the most important thing you can do
- [08:03] – “Agreements are for disagreements”
- [09:30] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Refusing a job as an executive in order to follow his passion
- [10:57] – “Being the founder and owner doesn’t mean you have to be the CEO”
- [11:40] – Of all the things you could be doing – what should you be doing?
- [13:20] – Biggest weakness? – “Introversion”
- [13:32] – Biggest strength?– “I think I have a lot of creative vision”
- [14:03] – What has Jay most fired up today? “Spending 12 weeks teaching people how to time block.”
- 15:56 – Visit TimeBlockingMastery.com
- [16:12] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Mindset”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If you really say Yes to something, you’re saying No to everything else”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I make appointments with myself to work out, to think, and to write”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Wunderlist
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Anything You Want
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter is taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “Subscribe to Wunderlist and Evernote, and start writing a book to solve someone’s problem”
- [19:19] – Parting piece of guidance: “Find your one thing”
- 19:36 – Connect with Jay on Linkedin and Twitter
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!