Joe is a Harvard business best-selling Author and Founder of Setpoint Systems and the Business Literacy Institute. He provides venture capital seed money and enjoys mentoring startups.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Financial Intelligence– Joe’s book
- Business-Literacy – Joe’s website
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE Courses for you!
3 Key Points:
- The reason every person starts a business is for the money.
- Your dreams will never be realized if your business is not profitable.
- Always look at your cash flow to evaluate how well you’re doing.
- School of Rock: A children’s services franchise where you’ll get to pass the torch of musicality to a new generation of musicians AND operate a profitable business at the same time! To learn more visit Franchising.SchoolOfRock.com, contact the School of Rock team, and tell them Entrepreneurs on Fire sent you!
- LinkedIn Learning: Offers thousands of expert-led courses covering a wide range of business, tech, and creative skills, with dozens of new tutorials added each week! Right now LinkedIn Learning is offering our listeners a free 30-day trial! Just visit LinkedIn.com/fire to sign up and try it free for 30 days!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:50] – Everything that’s happened in Joe’s career started with SetPoint
- [01:03] – His goal was to make SetPoint an open financial company
- 01:26 – He developed a methodology for teaching finance—this led to him writing a best-selling book, Financial Intelligence
- 02:13 – Joe was on Episode 245 of Entrepreneurs On Fire
- [02:42] – His area of expertise is in understanding how to make money in a business
- [03:38] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Unlike what management believes, many executives don’t understand finance on a basic level, so Joe and his team developed a questionnaire to help them
- [05:38] – Joe is involved in several businesses, including a small medical group that is trying to build a cash-only doctors’ medical network
- [06:52] – The only reason you start a business is to make money
- [07:38] – “If you can’t make money, your dream will never be realized”
- [08:13] – Founders need to understand that they need someone on their team to help them grow a profit
- [09:30] – Two engineers came to Joe to build a partnership with him because they needed a transparent financial system in place—this is what led Joe to start teaching finance
- [13:53] – Private equity group project
- [14:31] – Angel investors project
- [15:00] – Between the two, there are different points in the deal
- [15:36] – When making a deal, make sure you work with someone who knows your industry
- [16:09] – Any business owner SHOULD focus on EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization)
- [16:55] – “If your business is $1M EBITDA and your multiple in your industry is about 5, chances are groups will offer you $5M or 5 times your EBITDA, subject to an audit called due diligence”
- [17:14] – The second method is discounted cashflow – the EBITDA forecast for future cashflows will be discounted through NPV (net present value)
- [19:10] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m most fired up about all the business opportunities out there”
- [19:43] – “Profit is NOT cash”
- [20:54] – Everybody focuses on profit and EBITDA but really, the focus should be on one’s cash flow
- [21:20] – Cash flow shows on the balance sheet and cannot be cheated
- 22:16 – Check out Joe’s book, Financial Intelligence, and his website, Business-Literacy
- [22:54] – “If you’re profitable, your idea will live”
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!