Josh is a social media and content marketing consultant who works with brands across four continents, including: W Hotels, the U.S. Embassy, SodaStream, LYFE Kitchen Restaurants, WeWork, and China’s International Institute of Education. He also runs TheSocialMediaFreelancer.com, which teaches social media marketers how to build a six-figure freelance business.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Asana – Josh’s small business resource
- Go Giver by Bob Burg
- Josh Hoffman – Josh’s personal website
- Follow JLD on Instagram!
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Digital marketing is the easiest way to be relevant to peoples’ lives.
- You can’t control and scale word of mouth. It is not a marketing strategy.
- Have reasonable expectations.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:59] – Josh started as a sports journalist in school
- [01:14] – Josh worked for the media industry for 4-5 years
- [01:37] – Josh quit his job at NBC in San Diego
- [02:30] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Marketing is the process of maintaining relevance in peoples’ lives, and word of mouth is not marketing
- [05:00] – Last year was a great year for Josh, but he also burnt out
- [05:30] – Josh became depressed for 4-6 weeks
- [06:18] – A lot of people in the entrepreneurial world don’t talk about depression and suicide
- [06:45] – There are unrealistic expectations in the world of entrepreneurship
- [07:43] – “Take pride in the journey that you will take”
- [08:15] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Josh wasn’t earning because he realized that he was only relying on word of mouth and didn’t have a multi-level strategy
- [12:00] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “The Internet. Wherever there’s an Internet connection, the economy is good”
- [13:30] – Josh recently started his SmallBusinessSocial club exclusively for SMB
- [14:19] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Lack of experience
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Practice gratitude
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – 2 years ago, Josh started putting his phone on airplane mode before going to bed so he can have an uninterrupted sleep
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation –Asana
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Go Giver by Bob Burg
- [19:28] – Josh believes in TCMTH for: take control make things happen
- [20:10] –Connect with Josh though Joshoffman.com
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!