Liz is the co-host of the new podcast I Hate My Boss and one of the leading marketers in the world. In her career, she has been the Chief Marketing Officer at NIKE, Oprah Winfrey Network and National Geographic Channels, as well as long-time host of award-winning Satellite Sisters radio show and podcast.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Buffer – Liz’s small business resource
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller – Liz’s top business book
- Satellite Sisters – Liz’s website
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days! Use promo code podcast for a special discount :)
3 Key Points:
- You do not have to be the smartest person in the room—just be honest about what you know and what you don’t know.
- Keep your finger on the pulse.
- Find a positive work environment where you can thrive.
- Billy Gene is Marketing: My friend Billy Gene is hosting a free training where he’s going to build an entire Facebook advertising campaign from scratch – the ad copy, the landing pages, and everything in between! Why struggle trying to figure out Facebook ads on your own when you can just copy Billy Gene? Claim your spot today at INeedThisTraining.com!
- PayPal: Enter the PayPal $10k Business Makeover Contest and take your business to the next level! No purchases necessary to enter. Subject to rules. Void where prohibited. Must be 18 and a resident of one of the 50 United States or DC to enter. Enter by July 31st. Visit PayPal.com/fire to learn more!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:06] – Aside from having her corporate job, Liz has always had her own side creative projects, such as the Satellite Sisters
- [01:21] – She is currently living in Santa Monica, CA and believes that she has learned to hold her own by being the middle child of 8 siblings
- [01:54] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Liz is an expert on brands
- 02:59 – JLD recommends the book Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
- [03:23] – JLD says a brand is everything that you do
- [04:06] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Liz got promoted to Chief Marketing Officer at Nike and she made a lot of mistakes as a first-time boss
- [04:45] – Liz felt she needed to be the smartest person in the room
- [04:53] – Liz got into a fight with an employee who was with the company longer than she was
- [05:06] – She did not listen to his expertise and just pushed her own agenda because she was the boss
- [05:18] – Liz lost the fight and the only thing she could do was storm out of the room
- [05:55] – She did not understand then that people want their boss to have the ability to listen
- [06:07] – Liz apologized to the employee afterwards
- [06:30] – The experience turned her around
- [06:52] – JLD says painful experiences teach you to not make the same mistake again
- [07:11] – It is not your job to prove you are the smartest person in the room
- [07:51] – Be honest about what you don’t know and expect the same from other people
- [08:06] – JLD says people all have their own area of expertise
- [08:45] – Greatest AH-HA Moment: Liz always had a corporate life and a creative business on the side. They moved to podcasting from their initial radio show
- [09:29] – The talk show is about women’s issues
- [09:42] – Liz realized there were fewer companies that were niching in radio and the shows were limited to politics or sports
- [10:22] – The company where Liz was working was sold, and she knew the new owner would not be interested in their show
- [10:40] – Liz decided to transition to podcasting
- [11:20] – Liz learned all the new skills needed to do the podcast on her own
- [11:49] – JLD tells Fire Nation to keep your finger on the pulse
- [12:45] – You can invent the future as much as anyone else can
- [13:16] – What are you most FIRED up about today? – Working on my annual “beach bag books list” (summer reading)
- [14:10] – The point of the show, I Hate My Boss, is for people to be better bosses and employees
- [15:45] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I was never held back by anything specifically because my father was a great role model”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “It doesn’t matter what you study, just make sure you get the best professors”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I have an actual work mantra – be strong, calm and kind”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Buffer
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- 21:14 – Connect with Liz on Twitter and check out the podcast!
- [22:02] – What you think is just as important as what anyone else thinks
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!