Maria Calanchini is a digital entrepreneur. She took a 100 year old Public Domain property and turned it into an original children’s podcast called Goop Tales with over one million downloads.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Goop Tales – Sign up and enjoy all the Goop Tales episodes. Plus, get a FREE coloring book!
3 Value Bombs
1) There are no rules for being successful.
2) The best way to engage with your audience is to think of who your listeners are and what will resonate with them.
3) Everybody is creative. When starting your creative journey, do not criticize or edit yourself. Get it out, knowing that you can always come back to it later and edit it.
HubSpot: Learn how to grow better by connecting your people, your customers, and your business at HubSpot.com!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to Get Your First Million Podcast Downloads in a Hard to Reach Market with Maria Calanchini
[1:41]- Maria shares something she believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- She believes that there are no rules for being successful. There are some basic business principles that you can follow, but there are no one-size-fits-all rules.
[4:07]- Maria shares how she accomplished creating an original IP from a public domain property.
- Her podcast, Goop Tales, is based on a book written in 1904 by Gelett Burgess.
- Her mother used to read them the book when they were younger.
- When she grew older, she loved the idea of bringing the book to life and creating a business around it.
- She went through the public domain properties, hired a trademark lawyer, and found out that copyright usually lasts for the length of the person’s life – plus 70 years – depending on whether it has been maintained.
- She started an IP based on the poems and the artwork, and then wrote original stories around them.
[7:59] – What is the best way to get your audience to engage and even co-create your podcast?
- Be creative, be inspired, and do not give up.
- The best way to engage with your audience is to think of who your listeners are and what will resonate with them.
- Ideas poured in from her audience, and they started to contribute to her content.
[15:03] – A timeout to thank our sponsors, HubSpot!
[17:40] – Maria shares the importance of finding support and community
- She started podcasting five years ago, and JLD was one of her inspirations.
- She was very excited when she started; however, a few months later, her consistency dropped off, and she was not feeling inspired.
- She was in Podcasters’ Paradise when she realized the importance of having a community that you can connect with to keep going during rough spots.
[22:59] – Maria shares how you can stand out in a hard-to-reach market
- Be authentic.
- Your authenticity will resonate with your audience.
- Have great content.
- If your content is good, somebody is going to find it.
[29:07] – Maria’s parting piece of guidance.
- Everybody is creative. When starting your creative journey, do not criticize or edit yourself. Get it out, knowing that you can always come back to it later and edit it.
- Goop Tales – Sign up and enjoy all the Goop Tales episodes. Plus, get a FREE coloring book!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!