Michael Dorf is the founder of the Knitting Factory and City Winery, a 10-location music venue, urban winery and restaurant chain in North America. He is also one of NY’s most influential concert promoters.
Michael’s Website – Check out his new book Indulge Your Senses
City Winery – Enjoy various programs, music, and wine!
Michael’s Email – Have questions for Michael? Don’t hesitate to reach out!
3 Value Bombs
1) Selecting a unique location is very important for your business.
2) Communicate how you want to operate your business, and make sure everybody understands where you want to go
3) Get outside your comfort zone and do what you believe in.
ClickFunnels: With ClickFunnels’ new One Funnel Away Challenge you can have your funnel up, running, and optimized in just 30 days! Join the next One Funnel Away Challenge for just $100 at EOFire.com/funnel!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to Scale and Keep a Cool Vibe with Michael Dorf
[1:29] – Michael shares something interesting about himself that most people don’t know.
- He had to sleep under a desk for two years!
[2:15] – Michael talks about the importance of unique site selection.
- They have 12 locations for City Winery and every location is different: they have 3 different profiles.
- He believes that selecting a unique location is very important for your business.
- You have to look at what your business needs
[6:55] – Michael shares his thoughts on growing a successful management team.
- If you’re looking at expanding your business, it’s important to have an executive team and a second layer of management that all feel like owners.
- They use the term Base Camp as a metaphor wherein they analyze as a team, talk about what you want to achieve, share best practices, and identify the weak links.
[11:02] – How do you define operational overlap and how do you approach this?
- You have to analyze every component of your operations – know your numbers.
- Communicate how you want to operate your business and make sure everybody understands where you want to be.
[14:34] – Michael talks about bringing uniqueness into your brand.
- Get outside of your comfort zone and do what you believe in.
- Be creative and be different.
- Michael shares how he applied uniqueness and creativity to his winery business.
[21:56] – Michael talks about not becoming common in his industry.
- They inspire their chefs to be creative and add things to their menu.
- They are open for suggestions around how to be unique in each and every location they have.
- They share best practices across the board.
[26:11] – How big do you want to get as a company or organization?
- He wants to keep growing and get really big.
- He is driven by the idea that they can create a much better venue for musicians to perform.
- The greatest compliment is when an artist he respects tells him that they want to expand with him.
[28:51]– Michael’s parting piece of guidance
- Nothing is easy – it will require a lot of hard work to start a business.
- You should do what you love. You only live once, and if you have an opportunity to do something that is meaningful, then maybe it has a meaning for the rest of the world as well.
- If you are committed to it, eventually over time it will happen.
[30:13] – Learn more about Michael
- Michael’s Website – Check out his new book Indulge Your Senses
- City Winery – Enjoy various programs, music, and wine!
- Michael’s Email – Have questions for Michael? Don’t hesitate to reach out!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!