Our returning champion, Michael O’Neal, is the host of the wildly popular podcast The Solopreneur Hour, where he does deep dive interviews with entrepreneurs, athletes, actors, comedians, and influencers 3 times per week.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3 Value Bombs
1) If you’re offered something, say yes to it, and just learn to do it later.
2) Growth starts outside of your comfort zone.
3) Whatever you’re doing, do it well.
Pitney Bowes: Print postage right from your office and take advantage of special discounts! Plans start AS LOW AS $5 per month. Visit PB.com/fire to learn more and sign up for your free trial. Terms apply, see site for details.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[05:03] – JLD and Michael talk about the power of niche podcasting
06:09 – Michael doesn’t think that his new podcast, the Beginner Audiophile, will be hard to bring to a 6-figure income
- Michael was in high-end stereo listening
- He checked for podcasts about stereo and audio but didn’t find a single resource
- He launched the Beginner Audiophile and did the branding and marketing ahead of time
- Michael now gets roughly 3,000 downloads per show
- The important part when it comes to monetizing podcasts is knowing what the lifetime customer value is of the company advertising on your show
- Michael talks about Cambridge Audio’s ad on his podcast
- The lifetime value of your listener is key
13:24 – JLD talks about his new podcast, Memoir
[14:48] – For Michael, it’s a terrible idea to just think about starting a podcast for monetization
20:10 – JLD talks about Aaron Mahnke’s Lore, and how it gave him the idea for Memoir
- One cool thing in podcasting is that unexpected doors open
- Say YES first and learn how to do it later
[25:31] – Michael decided to do an elite mastermind
- One of JLD’s biggest financial risks was hiring Lewis Howes as a mentor for 6 months when the show didn’t have much income yet
- It turns out, working with Lewis helped John launch Podcasters’ Paradise quicker
- JLD talks about his guests’ breakthrough moments and how a lot of them happened when they had a baby
- Put yourself in a zone of discomfort to help get you to the next level
[31:51] – The way people consume content is not going to change
- Since Michael has seen this consumer trend stay so strong, he’s looking to double down on his podcast
- When people listen to a show for the first time, they give it 15 seconds; it HAS to sound good
- “Whatever you do, do it well”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!