Mike is a DIY saxophonist/songwriter with a powerful sound & creative outlook on both music and entrepreneurship. Fans include HuffPost, @NPRMusic, Evernote, Spotify and more. He’s managed to hit over 2 million streams in the first 2 years of his recording career, without a record label or team – rare if not unheard of in jazz.
Mike Casey Jazz – Visit Mike’s website and use promo code FIRENATION for 40% off Mike’s merchandise and music!
3 Value Bombs
1) Law of attraction is when you’re holding a vision in your mind of what you want, what you’re seeking, and then allowing the universe to deliver that to you – as long as you put in the work.
2) You have to love what you do and you have to be so passionate about it that all the doors could close and everyone can tell you you’re crazy – and you’ll still do it.
3) A lot of people are doing a lot of great things. Learn from them. Stand upon the shoulders of giants, but when it comes down to it, be you. Be exactly who you are.
Pitney Bowes: With SendPro Online from Pitney Bowes you can compare rates from multiple carriers, print stamps and shipping labels, and track shipments all in one place. Visit PB.com/fire and get a free 30-day trial plus a free 10 pound scale to get started!
Capterra: We use online reviews to help us make choices every day, so why should finding the right software be any different? Visit Capterra.com/fire to find the tools to make an informed software decision for your business.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Thinking like an artist with Mike Casey
[01:05] – Mike shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
- He was trying to make it into the NBA when he was young.
[02:29] – How did his upbringing play a role in shaping his outlook as an artist, then music-preneur?
- He was raised in a culture of questioning.
- He grew up learning to not take ‘No’ for an answer. He grew up thinking, learning, and believing that he could mold his own reality in the literal and spiritual sense.
[05:05] – Mike talks about improvisation and how you can use it to connect more dots in our life.
- We might have a plan in the day, but things change, and we have to adapt.
- Music has its own language and it has many languages within it.
- Let things flow and realize that there aren’t really mistakes. Even if there are, it’s actually an opportunity to play something else.
[07:34] – Mike talks about asking the question “And then what?”
- There’s a lot to gain from experimenting.
- As long as you believe that the two ideas—career and art—are connected, and you can backup why these will work, you can move things and make a difference.
- When we overthink, we tend to look for the best idea.
[09:53] – The benefits and detriment of looking into the future.
- Planning and setting goals is the key.
- Law of attraction is when you’re holding a vision in your mind of what you want, what you’re seeking, and then allowing the universe to deliver that to you – as long as you put in the work.
[14:09] – Mike talks about not taking ‘No’ for an answer.
- You just have to love what you do and you have to be so passionate about it that all the doors could close and everyone can tell you you’re crazy – and you’ll still do it.
[17:46] – How can we understand what makes us different, and how can we use that to our advantage?
- Study others out there, what they do, and have a further understanding of what they do, why or why not things are working for them.
- Thinking of what you and others do, what they do better than you, and what’s left after that or what are the things that you do that others don’t – that helps you understand what makes you different.
- A lot of people are doing a lot of great things. Learn from them. Stand upon the shoulders of giants, but when it comes down to it, be you. Be exactly who you are.
[22:51] – Find the void that you can fill – that’s the key!
[25:04] – Mike’s parting piece of guidance
- In music or in jazz, you have to mean what you play with every fiber of your being.
- Realize the core skills and the core passion. It’s not just loving entrepreneurship. What about do you love?
- Mike Casey Jazz – Visit Mike’s website and use promo code FIRENATION for 40% off Mike’s merchandise and music!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!