Ray Blakney is a serial entrepreneur who has bootstrapped multiple 6 and 7-figure businesses ranging from online language schools & SaaS products to chocolate factories in Asia. All from home in his superman pajamas.
Podcast Hawk – The smartest way to get booked on 1000’s of podcasts. Visit to download free media kits, email templates, and a fancy spreadsheet with some code on it to help you do things right!
3 Value Bombs
1) Having your own podcast is a lot of work. it’s not just about getting a good microphone. You have to find great guests, prep for interviews, edit, share on social media, promote to your listeners, etc.
2) Keep it short, but give enough so they want to find out more about you, and give them a way to do so
3) Podcasts are great for SEO. Most podcasters have websites and show notes. In the show notes, they link back to your website.
Truebill: A new app that helps you identify and stop paying for subscriptions you don’t need, want, or have simply forgotten about! Start canceling your unused subscriptions today at Truebill.com/fire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Growing Your Business with Podcasting… Without Having a Podcast.
[1:24] – Ray shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- In order to be successful in business, you have to have that lazy man’s mindset. The most efficient person in the world is someone who is lazy. They don’t want to do any more than necessary for their day-to-day survival.
- When you’re bootstrapping 6 to 7-figure businesses, a lazy man’s mindset is key because you need to figure out the things that need to be done in order for the business to get going and survive with short amounts of money and time.
[4:13] – Ray’s experience growing a business with podcasting… without having a podcast.
- Having your own podcast is a lot of work. It’s not just about getting a good microphone. You have to find great guests, prep for interviews, edit, share it on social media, promote to your listeners, etc.
- In getting on somebody else’s podcast, you don’t have to build the audience – they have an audience built in for you.
- If you’re a regular guest on podcast, you don’t have to worry about social media anymore. Most podcasters have their own social media account and just tag you whenever your episode goes out.
- Podcasts are great for SEO. Most podcasters have websites and show notes. In the show notes, they link back to your website.
- Podcasts can help get you fame by association.
- Podcasting is a great journey to self-discovery. A lot of podcasters ask the same questions, which will eventually help you learn who you are.
[10:09] – 2 things that we need to figure out before we start pitching podcasts to be a guest.
- Figure out what your goal is for being on the podcast, and be clear about it.
- Define who you’re trying to reach.
[11:54] – Finding the right podcasts to pitch, and knowing that they are the right use of your time.
- Google podcasts in your niche.
- You can go to Facebook groups where podcasters are looking for guests.
- You can hire a podcast booking agency. The downside of this is that most of them can’t guarantee the number of listeners that you’re going to get by appearing on shows
[19:20] – What makes a successful podcast pitch and what doesn’t?
- Keep it short, but share enough so they want to find out more about you, and give them a way to do so.
- Personalize emails
- Do follow ups
[22:28] – How can we automate the podcast searching and pitching process?
- Visit Podcast Hawk. One click and you’ll get every podcast in the world that matches the criteria you put!
- They have built an email drip campaign system for you. They will send the first email and follow up emails after a certain period if no reply is received.
[28:43] – Ray’s key takeaway and call to action for Fire Nation!
- Podcasting will grow your brand. Spread your message around the world.
- Visit Podcast Hawk. On the website, you can download free media kits, email templates, and a fancy spreadsheet with some code on it to help you do things right!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!