Rebecca is the head /only honcho at The Uncaged Life where she works with coaches and consultants from all over the world who want to have the freedom of working from anywhere with just their laptop. She loves helping rid people of shiny marketing tactics and instead helps them focus in on what it really takes to get their first clients as solo service providers.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Kill News Feed – Rebecca’s small business resource
- Get Rich, Lucky Bitch – Rebecca’s top business book
3 Key Points:
- Don’t wait for perfection. Start now, and let your messy project turn into what it’s going to be.
- Business is not life or death. Work to keep your perspective.
- Don’t cling to sunk costs. If something isn’t working for you now, let it go.
- SquareSpace: When you decide to sign up for SquareSpace, make sure to use the promo code FIRE to get 10% off your first purchase!
- ZipRecruiter – Are you ready to find your perfect hire? Right now you can post jobs on ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter.com/fire!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:36] – Rebecca generates revenue from a group program and a few solo clients
- [02:03] – She started the business while she was living in a van on an 8-month road trip
- [02:50] – The experience taught her to block out time to work and time to travel
- [03:35] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Finding that someone in her community had stolen her program
- [06:20] – Being inspired by people is fantastic – literally copy-pasting content is not
- [07:50] – You have to work to find your authentic voice. It takes time.
- [08:55] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Giving herself permission to start a business that didn’t use what she’d studied in college
- [11:00] – The ‘sunk cost’ fallacy – you don’t have to cling to where you’ve been before
- [12:30] – Friends and family can put pressure on you – find support that won’t judge
- [13:00] – Biggest weakness? – “I find it hard to give up control”
- [14:10] – Biggest strength? – “I don’t take anything too seriously”
- [14:50] – “I think about Yellowstone Park… it could explode at any second. Anything could happen at any second. That gives you some perspective on the fact that business isn’t life or death.”
- [16:10] – What has Rebecca most fired up today? “I just learned how to drive and bought a car. It’s totally freed up my schedule”
- [17:05] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I didn’t feel ready to do the work I knew was involved”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Hire help”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I talk a lot to business colleagues”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Kill News Feed
- If you could recommend just one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Get Rich, Lucky Bitch
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “I would probably go and get a job. I would then take that $500 and pay someone to design me a simple WordPress theme, start blogging, and build up the business with my side income”
- [19:40] – Parting piece of guidance: “If you’re waiting for a time when it feels right to start, you’ll be waiting for a long, long time. Start now with something that’s messy and imperfect.”
- 20:00 – Connect with Rebecca through her Facebook group
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Webinar Course: Create a Webinar that converts!