Robyn Johnson owns Marketplace Blueprint, an agency that specializes in marketing for Amazon. She started her business 10 years ago with $100 and grew to over 7 figures in just a few years.
Marketplace Blueprint – Learn more about Robyn’s Amazon Consulting Services
Marketplace Blueprint Facebook – Join Robyn’s group and get support for Vendor and Seller Central
Marketplace Blueprint – Download your free 20-page guide: things you need to know to get your listings to rank on Amazon
3 Value Bombs
1) Seller Central is the most common way to sell on Amazon; anybody can sell their physical goods here.
2) You miss out on a lot of important opportunities if you are not focused on Amazon or you do not partner with someone that is focused on Amazon.
3) If you want to sell on Amazon, it is crucial to take the time to do your research on how to do it correctly – or hire a partner who will be able to help you.
The Marketing Secrets Podcast: My buddy Russell Brunson – founder of ClickFunnels – is on a mission to help get entrepreneurs unstuck so they can get back to changing the world! Check out his podcast at MarketingSecrets.com!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to run a business on Amazon – Tips and tricks from the # 1 leader in marketing products on Amazon with Robyn Johnson
[1:37] – Robyn shares something interesting about herself that most people do not know.
- She was a youth minister before focusing on Amazon.
[2:28] – Seller Central: Why it is the most common way to sell on Amazon?
- Amazon’s backend
- Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is where you sell your journals
- Seller Central is where you sell physical goods on Amazon
- Vendor Central is where you sell physical goods to Amazon
- Seller Central is the most common way to sell on Amazon; anybody can sell their physical goods here.
[4:20] – Understanding Amazon’s Fees: Size Tiers and Category Selection
- Seller Central Fees
- The referral fee is a percentage based on a category.
- Different categories have different price points.
- Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA) Fee
- Charges to you in order to send your items to Amazon; once items sell, Amazon delivers it to the customer.
- Amazon will handle the shipping fee to the customer, and any customer service fee depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Make sure to measure your items correctly – you may use the Amazon Cubiscan.
- 30-day Storage Fee
- X amount during Q 1,2 & 3 and Y amount during Q 4.
[8:27] – Outselling Your Competition: 7-Way to Win with Better Listings
- Use highly relevant keywords – always have the doors to your product open.
- Indexing – converting traffic into sales.
- Have a constructed listing – look at the demographic and psychographic of your customer.
- Images – it will help you show that your product is of high quality.
- Brand Registry – it opens up different doors.
- Early Reviewer – is important if you are launching a product.
- Advertise and Promote – jumpstart your conversions.
[17:16] – Robyn talks about jumpstarting your sales with advertising and promotions.
- Average Cost Of Sales tells you how much it will cost you to advertise.
- You can lower your Average Cost Of Sales by coming up with the right campaign structure.
- Campaign Structure is the difference between 70% of the Average Cost Of Sales and 20% of the Average Cost Of Sales.
- Make weekly adjustments.
- Use Sponsor Brands.
[19:34] – Robyn shares her thoughts re: coupons.
- Coupons are one of the best tools that you can use.
- You can use it with a combination of your listing optimization and advertising tools.
- It can increase your Click-Through Rate (CTR).
- It can reduce your Total Average Cost Of Sales.
- It can avoid getting the Suppressed Buy Box.
[21:20] – Stock Outs: How can they destroy your business?
- If you run out of stock, your competitors continue to get the sales (including yours)
- It will put you down the organic ranking.
- It can mess up your advertising data.
- Avoid having stock outs.
- Use of Inventory Health Report, Detailed Page Sales and Traffic Report – set a re-plan alert.
- If you are heading towards a Stock Out, you can slow down the sales by removing the coupons and reducing ads.
[23:19] – Robyn talks about The Secret Seller Handshake.
- You can miss out on a lot of important opportunities if you are not focused on Amazon or you do not partner with someone that is focused on Amazon.
- Amazon Business allows you to make special discount pricing for people who are buying in bulk.
- Subscribe and Save will help you provide auto-ship for your customers.
- Seller Fulfilled Prime will help you locally fulfill a product, and still get the prime badge.
- Small and Light lets you reduce fees for inexpensive items.
- Brand Analytics shows your customers’ demographics.
- A+ Content enables brand owners to change product descriptions.
- Amazon Attribution allows you to drive external traffic and its conversion rate.
[26:24] – Robyn’s parting piece of guidance
- To be successful on Amazon you must show that you are going to be profitable
- It is crucial to take the time to do your research and to do it correctly (or hire a partner who will be able to help you).
- Marketplace Blueprint – Download your free 20-page guide: things you need to know to get your listings to rank on Amazon
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!