Ryan Holiday is a media strategist and prominent writer on strategy and business. After dropping out of college at nineteen to apprentice under Author Robert Greene, he went on to advise many Best-selling Authors and multi-platinum musicians.
He is the director of marketing at American Apparel, where his campaigns have been used as case studies by Twitter, YouTube, and Google and have been written about in AdAge, the New York Times, and Fast Company. Ryan’s latest book, The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph, was released by Penguin on May 1st, and he is also the Best-selling author of Trust Me, I’m Lying, and Growth Hacker Marketing.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- “The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.” – Marcus Aurelius Click to tweet!
- “Some lack the fickleness to live as they wish and just live as they have begun.” – Seneca click to tweet!
Questions Ryan answers throughout this interview
- Who is this book for? Why now?
- Your previous books, which are about marketing – what made you want to go in a different direction?
- Would you consider it a self-help book?
- The book derives its philosophy from Stoicism; how did you come to study it?
- How have you used the principles in your life or career?
- Can you think of a major life problem you had, or a business decision where this approach really saved you?
- It seems like this book is very relevant for young people today: we are dealing with high unemployment and student loan debt. What advice would you give to them, other than to read your book?
- You broke this book up into three sections; can you describe the three sections and talk about why you organized the book this way?
Best Business Book
- The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- eVoice: The business phone system of choice for entrepreneurs. Make more money and grow your business with eVoice. Use offer code FIRE for $5 off every month FOREVER!
- lynda.com: Offers over 2,400 high-quality and engaging video courses taught by industry experts—with courses added weekly. Visit lynda.com/eof and get access to their entire library of video courses free for 7 days.
- Squarespace is the easiest way for anyone to create an exceptional website. Pages, galleries, blogs, e-commerce, domains, hosting, analytics, and 24/7 support. . For a free trial and 10% off, go to squarespace.com use offer code FIRE.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!