Sam is the founder of Consulting.com, an e-learning company that helps everyday people start and grow successful consulting businesses.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
The Ultimate Sales Machine – Sam’s Top Business Book
Consulting.com – Sam’s website
Connect with Sam on Facebook
How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
3 Value Bombs
1) Fall in love with your craft first before trying to master it.
2) Cool ideas don’t sell. Cool solutions to real problems sell.
3) If you want to be an entrepreneur, start looking for real consumer pain points and build a business around that.
ZipRecruiter: Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by businesses of ALL sizes to find the most qualified job candidates. Post jobs on ZipRecruiter for FREE today by visiting ZipRecruiter.com/fire!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:51] – Sam went to college and got a job because it was what he thought success was
[00:59] – He tried to start his own business multiple times but he kept failing
- He eventually found consulting
[01:15] – Sam started helping local business get clients
[01:41] – He also had coaching programs before he launched his e-learning platform
[01:55] – Sam’s area of expertise is in starting from scratch
[02:28] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Learn to fall in love with the game before trying to master it
[03:32] – Consulting does NOT have to be face-to-face
[05:06] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Sam’s first business, Promote Yourself, was an online job board. It took Sam 12 months to build it and he sold everything he had to fund it. He went to the streets handing out flyers and knocked door-to-door to promote it because he didn’t know how to market. After spending a week with no interest or traffic, it dawned on him that no one really wanted it.
- “You just can’t come up with cool ideas and think that everyone else is going to want them”
[06:20] – Learn to look at the market
[06:41] – Be a solver of problems
[07:01] – Frontload the risk
[08:10] – Sam’s experience doing door-to-door gave him more confidence
[08:42] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: After the job board business, he stopped looking for ideas and started looking for problems instead. He went from being a dreamer to an observer of other people’s pain points
[10:32] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Only really this year have I built up a team… what I’m most fired up about is working on team building and scaling”
[13:50] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was definitely uncertainty and fear of the unknown”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Never give up”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Only work on busy work 1 day a week and then have 4 days of undivided focus”
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Ultimate Sales Machine – “it taught me to stop procrastinating”
[15:56] – Instead of analyzing the business problem, analyze your own self
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!