Sam Parr is the founder of The Hustle & Trends.co — one of America’s fastest-growing media companies with a focus on millennials, tech, and culture (acq. by HubSpot). He’s also the co-host of My First Million — a top 25 business podcast.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Sam’s Instagram – Follow Sam on Instagram.
Sam’s Twitter – Follow Sam on Twitter.
My First Million – Check out the greatest hits of 2021 from Sam’s podcast!
3 Value Bombs
1) Figuring out what people have done is truly helpful, but you’ve got to go and get after it.
2) It’s a good habit to create a plan, have a goal, get into the momentum and the habit of hitting your target, and seeing progress. It’s beneficial to life, and makes you feel that you can overcome so many things.
3) It is easier to have money, and to throw money at problems.
HubSpot: Learn how to grow better by connecting your people, your customers, and your business at HubSpot.com!
Clay Clark: Looking for a business coach who has helped thousands of entrepreneurs increase profitability by an average of 104% annually – all for less money than it would cost to hire a minimum wage employee? And all on a month-to-month basis!? Schedule your free consultation today with Clay Clark at ThrivetimeShow.com/fire!
Coda.io: The doc that brings it all together! Get your team all working together on the same page for free at Coda.io/fire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Growing a Top 25 Business Podcast.
[1:32] – Sam shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- In order to create something that has meaningful impact to your life and your career, you should only do one thing and say no to every project that you have except for that one business.
[2:40] – From selling hot dogs to selling the hustle.
- He met a guy who had a hot dog stand. He was used to starting businesses, but he wanted to start a brick and mortar. He rented a hot dog stand and asked to just pay rent at the end of the month.
- He started an online store, sold a couple of informational products, and eventually called the guy who started “Air Bed and Breakfast”. He then met with them in San Francisco, and that’s when he started down the path of creating Internet companies.
[4:45] – Turning “My First Million” into a Top 25 Business Podcast.
- Growing a podcast is incredibly hard.
- When they started, it took off right away, having 30-40 thousand listens per episode. In 12 months, they were only getting 10-15 thousand downloads so it dropped significantly.
- They put full focus on it, consistently created quality content, and it worked.
[9:19] – Sam’s branding over the years.
- Sam thinks “My First Million” is pretty bad because it makes it sound like they’ll get rich quick.
[11:12] – Business ideas that came from “My First Million.”
- He’s building a new content series called Billionaires Anonymous.
- He recently bought a farm and turned it into a fitness retreat.
- Mark Sisson launched Primal Kitchen — along with a bunch of sugar free sauces. He sold the company for $200 million a couple of years after starting it. It all was off of his audience.
- His next door neighbor started a company called Perfect Keto.
[17:00] – A timeout to thank our sponsors, HubSpot, Clay Clark, and Coda.io!
[19:21] – How getting fit and finding success in business are one and the same.
- There’s no point of succeeding if you feel like crap.
- It’s a good habit to create a plan, have a goal, get into the momentum and the habit of hitting your target, and seeing progress. It’s beneficial to life and makes you feel that you can overcome so many things.
[20:41] – Does money buy happiness?
- It is easier to have money, and to throw money at problems.
- Money makes you happier because you can focus on things that can make you happy.
[25:53] – You’re now seeing what you can do with your money… where investing your money can make can make you a lot more money. Where does it stop? Is there ever going to be “enough”?
- No, there’s never enough, but your reasons for making more money can change.
[28:31] – Sam’s key takeaway and call to action for Fire Nation!
- Figuring out what people have done is truly helpful, but you’ve got to go and get after it.
- Sam’s Instagram – Follow Sam on Instagram.
- Sam’s Twitter – Follow Sam on Twitter.
- My First Million – Check out the greatest hits of 2021 from Sam’s podcast!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!