Shaun is a graduate of The Citadel and former United States Army Officer, serving in Germany & Operation Desert Storm. A Police Officer since 2000, assigned to Patrol, Tactical, Narcotics & Training Units. SWAT Officer since 2003. Duties involved community education, fugitive apprehension, directed enforcement & inter-departmental interdiction operations. He served as a narcotics & vice detective, conducting investigations, in-depth reports, search warrants, subpoenas & testimony for various State’s Attorney’s Offices. He received numerous awards for individual & team performance. He’s been awarded the Medal of Valor. Currently serves in Public Safety management.
MISSION of the show: Three active-duty police officers in the Chicago suburbs, facing the tough subjects, including police brutality, racial tension, rioting, and more. This is a show about opening a dialogue, accepting that something has to be done, and bringing communities together again.
3 Cops Talk – Rebuilding Community Trust. Visit Shaun’s website to learn more about their podcast!
3 Value Bombs
1) You can help create an environment where people can go out and make millions becoming entrepreneurs. Be the gatekeeper for people to move beyond and do better.
2) If you’re miserable, life’s too short to be here. You don’t need approval from people just because you’ve decided to leave something that made you hate life.
3) Listen to the message. Words are words, but you have to dig to see what it is. If it sounds different than what you’re used to, it doesn’t mean that you’re wrong.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: 3 Cops Talk.
[1:09] – Shaun shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- You do not need approval.
[1:52] – Shaun’s thoughts about the statement, “Ask for forgiveness, not permission.”
- Test those things, because sometimes that’s when the greatest opportunities occur.
[2:28] – The meaning of getting the right people in the room.
- Know who your avatar is, who you’re trying to reach and understand.
- Understand what is being portrayed as ‘enemy”.
- Get to the foot of the hardest mountain to climb. Get to that one first, and people along the way will realize that we’ve got a lot more in common than we think.
[3:48] – What’s the necessary paradigm shift for how communities and police are interacting – especially in certain communities? Where do people start and what does the conversation look like?
- The vast majority of people, even those who don’t support the police, actually want and need them.
- The shift needs to happen on both sides. There are bad players on both sides.
[7:34] – Who needs to be held accountable?
- Shaun is more willing to tolerate behavior from someone he agrees with – even though he might be wrong – rather than someone he is disagreeing with.
- If you’re miserable, life’s too short to be here. You don’t need approval from people just because you’ve decided to leave something that made you hate life.
- Think globally, not locally.
[13:51] – Does politics divide us?
- You create monsters that only you as a leader can slay.
- Do not take things personally.
[16:59] – What needs to happen so we can start hearing each other?
- Listen to the message. Words are words, but you have to dig to see what it is. If it sounds different than what you’re used to, it doesn’t mean that you’re wrong.
[18:35] – The average person’s response to things the police are really doing.
- When people don’t know what to do, they call the police.
- With radios, guns, and experience, it doesn’t always mean that they can handle things better. As a police officer, you have to remember how you can solve things together with people.
[22:03] – Shaun’s key takeaway for Fire Nation!
- You can help create an environment where people can go out and make millions, becoming entrepreneurs. Be the gatekeeper for people to move beyond and do better.
- Common experience is what binds us.
[24:34] – Shaun’s call to action for Fire Nation!
- Listen to Shaun’s Podcast, 3 Cops Talk.
- 3 Cops Talk – Rebuilding Community Trust. Visit Shaun’s website and learn more about his podcast!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!