Stephen Tanenbaum is the co-founder and President of UGallery.com. Founded in 2006 at the University of Arizona, he has led the company to double digit revenue growth every year since inception.
Subscribe to EOFire
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Slack – Stephen’s small business resource
- The 12 Week Year – Stephen’s top business book
- U Gallery
- Connect with Stephen on Twitter
3 Key Points:
- Never give up. There’s always an avenue to success if you’re prepared to be flexible.
- Find great advisors and mentors, and listen to them.
- Find a discipline that relaxes your mind and gives you space – whether it’s meditation or exercise.
- ZipRecruiter: If you’re ready to start hiring, then ZipRecruiter is where you can find your perfect candidate! Try ZipRecruiter for free today at ziprecruiter.com/fire!
- Allstate: As a veteran, I know how hard it is looking for a career after the military. But what if I told you there was a way to put everything you’d learned from the military to good use in a career where you get to help others? That’s what owning an Allstate agency is all about.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [02:23] – Stephen generates revenue by splitting sales 50/50 with the artist
- [02:56] – A curated online gallery that sells in multiple countries
- [03:24] – Recently helped a client in Dubai commission a painting from one of their artists
- [03:44] – Gives artists a reputable platform to showcase and sell their work
- [05:27] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In his first business: being stuck with thousands of inventory units and no buyer after his retailer knocked off his product
- [08:12] – Keep your eyes open for opportunities
- [09:10] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Diversifying the gallery away from student artists
- [11:16] – Now the fastest-growing online gallery in the world!
- [11:48] – Keep your finger on the pulse – keep talking to your peers
- [12:38] – “Find great advisers and mentors and listen to them.”
- [12:58] – Biggest weakness? – Impatience
- [13:22] – Biggest strength? – Persistence
- [13:43] – What has Stephen most fired up today? – “The site’s had a fantastic redesign that I’m really excited about.”
- [14:38] – Had to fight for the U Gallery domain
- [15:51] – The U Gallery story
- [19:47] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Nothing. I started out selling baseball cards.”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Exercise”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Slack
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The 12 Week Year
- [22:27] – Parting piece of guidance: “Never give up. There’s always an avenue to success.”
- [22:56] – Connect with Stephen via email or on Twitter
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!