John Lee Dumas is the host of EOFire, where he interviews today’s most successful Entrepreneurs 7 days a week. JLD has grown EOFire into a multi-million dollar a year business with over 1500 interviews and 1.5 million monthly listens. His latest project is The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days. Learn more at TheMasteryJournal.com!
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Stay Focused – JLD’s online business resource
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- How is The Mastery Journal different from The Freedom Journal? Click here to find out!
- Funnel On Fire – An 8-day course on how to create a funnel that converts!
3 Key Points:
- The best ideas and the best answers can be found within yourself.
- Take care of your relationships—a personal connection is something you can’t replace
- Take the first step towards accomplishing your goals and just keep on going.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:40] – Today, the Kickstarter campaign for The Mastery Journal launches!
- [01:06] – The next 33 days will be about the essence and the details behind The Mastery Journal
- [01:50] – 30 individuals who succeeded with their own Freedom Journal will be the guests for the whole month
- [02:48] – John will do live updates throughout the campaign on different platforms
- 03:06 – JLD partnered up with Pencils of Promise again to build a school in developing countries on behalf of those who support The Mastery Journal
- [04:28] – JLD gives a brief overview describing The Mastery Journal
- [04:36] – The Mastery Journal is about mastering productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days
- [05:01] – The Freedom Journal was created to serve as a guide for people who know their #1 goal and they wish to accomplish that goal over 100 days
- [05:34] – For The Mastery Journal, JLD had to look inside of himself and figure out his strengths
- [06:15] – JLD wanted to create a tool to guide people with mastering productivity, discipline and focus
- [07:03] – Where the numbers 3, 33, and 100 came from
- [09:05] – Masterminds helped John realize his best traits
- [10:43] – “Pay attention to what others come to you for”
- [11:35] – JLD shares how these three traits have played a major role in his life
- [11:45] – The best example is with EOFire
- [11:51] – In June 2012, JLD told his mentor, Jamie, he wanted to launch a daily podcast
- [12:15] – Jamie insisted JLD set a date in the calendar when he would launch his podcast
- [12:23] – “Soon” become “later”, and “later” became potentially never
- [12:26] – They set the launch for August 15th
- [12:55] – It was critical to have the date
- [13:12] – August 15th came, but JLD didn’t launch because of fear
- [13:27] – JLD finally launched at the end of September which was after 5 weeks of excuses
- [13:58] – Let others know about your plan
- [14:26] – JLD’s next step in creating The Mastery Journal was to do research
- [15:11] – The Pomodoro Technique plays a huge role in helping you focus
- [17:43] – Kate says she’s lucky to be part of this journey
- [18:05] – “It’s the guidance that is so powerful for people. It’s the structure that’s helping people reach their full potential.”
- [18:24] – Our capabilities are beyond what we give ourselves credit for
- [19:05] – There are so many things to learn from The Freedom Journal that equip us for The Mastery Journal
- [19:27] – Difference between The Freedom Journal launch and The Mastery Journal launch
- [19:30] – The Mastery Journal will open new capabilities for us
- [19:57] – Kickstarter live events are now available
- [20:50] – Snapchat and Instagram Stories are two more new things that can help the campaign
- [21:13] – JLD will be leveraging more this time than before with The Freedom Journal
- [21:22] – Facebook Live also gives another opportunity to leverage
- [22:50] – Do these social media live video options provide people with more reach?
- [24:45] – “Put things in perspective”
- [25:03] – The marketing plan for The Freedom Journal – how it was different for The Mastery Journal
- [25:39] – Last year, JLD hired somebody else to connect with his past podcast guests
- [26:12] – There wasn’t a personal connection, so it didn’t work out
- [26:45] – This year, JLD completely dedicated his time to personally reconnecting with his past guests
- [27:23] – The response rate this year was so much higher than last year
- [27:56] – Personal connections are not scalable and not leveragable
- [30:04] – “We can’t do everything ourselves”
- [30:10] – You have to test in order to find out which things are NOT scalable
- 31:40 – Check out The Mastery Journal – it’s live on Kickstarter!
- 32:12 – To learn how to support The Mastery Journal campaign, head over to EOFire.com/Support and get 30 days FREE of The Mastery Journal
- [33:59] – One of the biggest struggles was differentiating The Freedom Journal from The Mastery Journal
- [35:10] – External struggles in logistics for The Freedom Journal were non-existent for The Mastery Journal
- [36:03] – Every project will have its own struggles
- [36:16] – What carried over
- [36:42] – The Lightning Round
- Why do you feel most entrepreneurs struggle with productivity, discipline, and focus? “They’re not intentional about what they’re doing day to day”
- What is the most powerful action you take every single day that helps you continue practicing productivity, discipline, and focus? “If you are failing to plan, you are planning to fail”
- How important is accountability in maintaining productivity, discipline, and focus? “Accountability is everything”
- What’s one resource do you recommend to Fire Nation? Stay Focused
- [40:55] – If you can master productivity, discipline and focus, your goals are within reach
- 41:09 – Learn more about The Mastery Journal!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!