Alex is an award winning writer/director & Founder of IndieFilmHustle.com and the popular Indie Film Hustle Podcast. His mission is to help filmmakers survive and thrive in the film business. Alex’s podcast became the #1 filmmaking podcast on iTunes in three short months.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Trello – Alex’s small business resource
- The Four Hour Work Week – Alex’s top business book
- Indie Film Hustle
3 Key Points:
- Be true to yourself. You’ll never be as good at being anybody else.
- Failure is part of the process. Never be scared to fail at anything.
- If you’re going to go into a business, understand it. Know all the numbers before you start.
- Citi cards with Android Pay: A super fast way to pay! Download the Android Pay app on Google Play or visit Citi.com/androidpay to get started. (Android Pay is available for eligible Citi consumer credit and debit cards.)
- Toptal: Find the perfect developer or designer to help bring your next project to live with Toptal’s 2-week, no risk trial. Visit Toptal.com/fire or shoot me an email and I’ll personally introduce you to an executive at Toptal who can help you get set up!
- Qualaroo: Start engaging with your customers in real-time, collect valuable insights, and increase conversions. Sign up today and get your first 2 weeks of service free!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:07] – Alex started Indie Film Hustle to give back to the filmmaking community
- [01:26] – 12 years ago, Alex directed a film called Broken, put together a tutorial on how it was made, and sold 5,000 copies on DVD
- [02:00] – Made around $100k in profit
- [03:10] – “I got caught up in the Hollywood game after that – and I stopped making films so much.”
- [03:44] – “I missed Youtube and online film because of that, but I’m coming back into the niche now.”
- [04:59] – “The reason I became the number one podcast in 3 months was consistency – and I understand my audience.”
- [07:00] – Alex generates revenue through online courses and podcast sponsorship
- [08:47] – He’s just about to launch a membership site where his members can follow him as he creates his first feature film
- [10:13] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Opening up an olive oil and vinegar company in the Los Angeles area
- [14:52] – “If you’re going to go into any business, understand every aspect of that business.”
- [15:27] – “Know your numbers”
- [17:15] – Biggest weakness? – Shiny light syndrome
- [17:49] – Biggest strength? – I’m very resilient and I work incredibly hard
- [20:55] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The fear of failure”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “You are enough. You need to be yourself and to be true to what makes you happy.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “90% of success is just showing up. I’m consistent.”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trello
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Four Hour Work Week
- 23:03 – Connect with Alex at Indie Film Hustle
- [23:19] – Parting piece of guidance? – “Be yourself.”
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Webinar Course: Create a Webinar that converts!