Andrea Owen is a global speaker, certified Daring Way™ Facilitator, host of Make Some Noise Podcast and the best-selling author of three books, including Make Some Noise.
Make Some Noise – Order Andrea’s book and claim your free bonuses!
3 Value Bombs
1) Think of someone who you admire. Ask yourself what the person you admire would do in that situation where you’re hesitating – and run with it.
2) We need to both look under the surface of our conditioning and why we hold back so we can unlearn it. We also need to learn better communication skills when it comes to negotiating and setting boundaries.
3) Get curious with what your conditioning is versus what your truth is.
Indochino: Looking for completely custom-fitted suits, shirts, or casualwear to add to your closet at an affordable price? Get $50 off any purchase of $399 or more by using code FIRE at checkout! Visit Indochino.com today!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: It’s Time to Make Yourself a Priority and Make Some Noise.
[1:05] – Andrea shares something that she believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- You don’t have to have an elaborate morning routine to be successful.
[2:17] – Empowering women and giving them unshakeable confidence: how does Andrea accomplish this through her book Make Some Noise?
- She helps women to empower themselves. Some say that it’s just semantics, but she doesn’t want people to rely on her forever.
- The main theme is around looking at conditioning that not just women, but also men, are given.
- Culturally, it’s not easy for anyone with the stereotypes and gender roles that we’ve adopted in 2021.
- Get curious about what your conditioning is versus what your truth is.
[3:59] – How do we get out of spending our lives playing small and instead make some noise?
- It may not be sustainable for everyone to keep their foot in the gas pedal.
- For men, their conditioning tells them that they have to make a certain amount of money to be valued or admired or to be successful.
- For women, it might be that they have to make everyone else comfortable.
- Sometimes, it’s not about the strategy. If you’re not doing the internal work to unpack and unlearn all the B.S. that all of us received growing up, that will still continue to come around and bite you in the butt.
[5:35] – Andrea shares some examples about playing small.
- Her parents are avid tennis players and that became part of her life. She had an overwhelming fear of losing in the sport and letting down her team or her doubles partner.
- She completely quit tennis because she was too afraid of failure and didn’t have the self confidence to walk onto the tennis court and step out of her comfort zone and make that leap.
- Look at the fears that you have and where they came from. If you look at where they came from, then you can better understand yourself. Also, you’ll get a healthy dose of self compassion.
[9:18] – Self-sabotage is very frequent in work and relationships. How did Andrea deal with self-sabotage in her book?
- Generally speaking, many times there is a secondary gain that we’re getting from sabotaging ourselves.
- In relationships, we tend to attract and tolerate what we’re used to.
- We try to heal our childhood wounds through our partners.
- We need to break regular habits that we have.
- Ask yourself what you’re really avoiding.
[16:15] – Andrea shares one of her favorite examples of her being vulnerable with her audience, and whether it’s something she would recommend doing.
- Millennials and Gen Z-er’s care about where they’re putting their support and their money. Think about where you stand on certain social issues. Not all business owners need to share their stories.
- Don’t be vulnerable if you feel that you want to be more private.
- It can be dangerous to heal out loud.
[18:47] – We need to learn how to start talking about money.
- Women are really great at running households and in leadership positions. But, they still lag behind when it comes to having conversations about money.
- You can’t be what you can’t see.
[22:07] – How is not making noise costing us in our career?
- It costs us money, promotions, better projects, and better networking opportunities.
- We need to both look under the surface of our conditioning and why we hold back so we can unlearn it. We also need to learn better communication skills when it comes to negotiating and setting boundaries.
[22:41] – Andrea’s key takeaway and call to action for Fire Nation!
- Make Some Noise – Order Andrea’s book and claim your free bonuses!
- Think of someone who you admire. Ask yourself what the person you admire would do in that situation where you’re hesitating – and run with it!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!