Ariel is a neuroscientist, psychotherapist, and co-founder of Muse, the brain sensing headband that helps you meditate. She was featured on CNN (3x), NYT, Forbes, Fortune, MensHealth, and Etc. Ariel and Muse help you understand and super-charge your brain.
ChooseMuse – Technology Enhanced Meditation. Use promo code FIRE and get 15% off!
3 Value Bombs
1) With Focused Attention Meditation, when you choose to take your attention off your wandering thoughts and put it on to a neutral object, you can change the relationship to your thoughts.
2) Meditation teaches you to deal with both mental and emotional fears; you don’t need to be ruled by fear. Acknowledge and then release.
3) The understanding that the simple act of noticing your thoughts and choosing where you put your mind can fundamentally transform your life and your business.
ClickFunnels: With ClickFunnels’ new One Funnel Away Challenge you can have your funnel up, running, and optimized in just 30 days! Join the next One Funnel Away Challenge for just $100 at EOFire.com/funnel!
Klaviyo: Customers want more from brands, and delivering more means owning the customer experience. Klaviyo calls this “owned marketing” and believes it’s the best path to growth. For more, visit Klaviyo.com/fire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Mastering your mind: Tools to create the mindset of success with Ariel Garten
[1:17] – Ariel shares something about herself that most people don’t know.
- She cries out of joy and happiness when people win on game shows.
[2:28] – What is meditation?
- It is a practice or training that leads to healthy and positive mind states.
[3:54] – How will meditation help people?
- It will help you improve your attention, decrease your stress, improve your productivity, and it can potentially change the way your body and brain age.
- With Focused Attention Meditation, when you choose to take your attention off your wandering thoughts and put it on to a neutral object, you can change the relationship to your thoughts.
- It can help you to be happier, and it can improve your immune system, digestion, and cardiovascular function.
[7:37] – What is Muse, and how does it make meditation easier?
- Muse is brain sensing headband that helps you meditate; it gives you real feedback on your meditation so you know if you’re doing it right.
- It’s a tool that will show what you’re supposed to be doing during meditation, and it allows you to track your progress. It tracks you brain activity with an EEG headband.
[11:09] – How have other people used Muse to benefit themselves?
- It gives you insight into yourself so you can then make changes.
- It doesn’t automatically make you smarter, but it will guide and teach you how to do an activity that will help you hone your focus and reflect on what’s going on in your life and body.
[13:43] – What happens in the brain during meditation?
- Pre-frontal Cortex – it is your attention control center, and as you age it gets thinner. However, with long term meditation you can maintain its thickness even as you age.
- Amygdala – it is responsible for your emotions, and with long term meditation you can calm and regulate it.
- Long term meditation will help your pre-frontal cortex regulate the Amygdala and regulate yourself, your emotions, your responses, and your ability to wisely see what’s going on with the world.
[16:52] – Ariel talks about deeper aspects of neuroscience of meditation
- Hippocampus is the area of your brain responsible for learning and memory.
- Corpus Callosum is the bundle of nerves that connect your left and right brain hemisphere.
- Temporal Parietal Junction is associated with compassion, empathy, and perspective changing.
- Long term meditation will help you increase the size and thickness of your Hippocampus, Corpus Callosum, and Temporal Parietal Junction.
[19:12] – Ariel talks about when she first envisioned MUSE.
- Her vision started back in 2003, working in a laboratory. They were using a single electrode on the back of their head, and they were able to use it to control the music in the room. She then thought, “what if we were literally controlling the world with our brains?”, and that is when she decided to create a product with the help of her close friends that now called MUSE.
[22:40] – How can meditation help entrepreneurs overcome the barriers of fear?
- 2 components of fear: mental and emotional.
- Meditation teaches you to deal with both mental and emotional fears; you don’t need to be ruled by fear. Acknowledge and then release.
[24:45] – Ariel shares some testimonials from Muse users.
- People use Muse before they go to bed, which helps them to sleep better and stay asleep;
- They use it during the day to deal with stress;
- Top athletes use it to help with sports performance, recovery, and their ability to live well
- It also helps people with productivity
[27:24] – Ariel parting piece of guidance
- The understanding that the simple act of noticing your thoughts and choosing where you put your mind can fundamentally transform your life and your business.
[27:54] – Ariel’s gift for Fire Nation!
- Visit ChooseMuse.com and use promo code FIRE for 15% off!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!