From the archive: This episode was originally recorded and published in 2018. Our interviews on Entrepreneurs On Fire are meant to be evergreen, and we do our best to confirm that all offers and URL’s in these archive episodes are still relevant.
Arjuna Ardagh is an executive coach, writer and public speaker. He has spoken at conferences all over the world, including at the United Nations and at Google. He has trained more than 2000 people as coaches and has been coaching for more than 25 years. His clients include CEOs, members of Congress, Hollywood writers and filmmakers, social innovators, and disruptive entrepreneurs. He is the author of 9 books, including the #1 National Bestseller The Translucent Revolution. His latest book, Radical Brilliance, is a complete manual on how to have original ideas which change the world.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
RadicalBrilliance – Arjuna’s website
Radical Brilliance Book – Grab your own copy of Arjuna’s book Radical Brilliance!
3 Value Bombs
1) Your primary motivation is to get out of bed in the morning and make the greatest difference you can.
2) The conclusive answer from interviewing so many people is having a real sense of contribution to something bigger than yourself.
3) Happiness is the gradual realization of a worthy ideal ~ Dale Carnegie.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: How to flip on the magic switch of your innate brilliance with Arjuna Ardagh.
[02:00] – Arjuna shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
[03:30] – What is that magic switch, and how does it bring real and deep fulfillment?
- The quest for the magic switch is really innate to human beings. The thing that sets us apart from nearly 2.3 million species on the earth is that we have this highly developed prefrontal cortex.
- The prefrontal cortex allows us to evaluate the condition of our life as it is right now. Also, it allows us to imagine, visualize, and experience something that’s not yet here.
- When you get attention between what is and what could be, that difference is evolution. That’s what spawns the whole self improvement industry and people working on themselves through personal development.
- There are people whose fulfillment is peaking. As a by-product of that incredible fulfillment in gratitude and high energy, money flows in easily, relationships are great, we laugh a lot – everything is good.
- The conclusive answer from interviewing so many people about fulfillment is that it’s all about having a real sense of contribution to something bigger than yourself.
[09:02] – Arjuna talks about the income graph.
- If you’re making 25-30 thousand dollars a year, and your income goes up to 40 thousand, according to 22 parameters of well-being, your well-being goes up.
- If you want to do something amazing for the world, you’ll need a flow of income and you’ll need expenditure; then, make sure that stays in the positive.
- Happiness is the gradual realization of a worthy ideal ~ Dale Carnegie
[12:21] – Arjuna shares with us the factors that contribute to brilliance and his brilliance cycle.
- There are 4 different components – when they are all activated in anyone’s life, it becomes a brilliant life.
- At 12 o’clock we’ve got what we call, “Moments of Awakening.” Those are moments where you get out of your mind and constraints – the fear where the mind lives in – and experience something boundariless. The stress leaves your system.
- 3 o’clock is what we call Creative Flow. It is when the ideas and the innovation is just happening on its own effortlessly.
- 6 o’clock is about accomplishment. It’s about achieving goals within a time frame and financial restraints of agreement.
- 9 o’clock is about humility and learning.
- The first movement from 12 to 3 is through following fine impulses.
- The second movement from 3 to 6 starts with a kind of creative impulse called intention.
- The third movement from 6 to 9 goes from intention to accomplishment. It is about a phenomenon called the Double Bind. This is when you operate within limits and then inevitably make choices.
- The fourth movement from 9 to 12 – it’s when you have intuition of something bigger than your mind.
[26:14] – Everybody is not being brilliant, original, and innovative all the time. Why is this the case?
- Great ideas arrive through the gaps in your mind, not from your mind.
- People are born brilliant.
- Brilliance is, more often than not, shut down by one of four kinds of blockage.
- Addiction – You get addicted in your brain chemistry to wanting to stay exclusively to one of four quadrants.
- Judgment – It is when you develop a dismissal of one part of a cycle.
- Aspiration resistance – Craving and ambition, or wanting something slightly out of reach.
- Looping – When you become a specialist in one tiny area of a cycle and you no longer inhabit the rest.
[33:11] – Arjuna talks about the different blockages and how we can free up that blockage.
- Aspiration Resistance in the 6 to 9 quadrant would be somebody who’s very caught up in getting things done.
- Addiction in 12 to 3 quadrant has to do with the allure of bright and shiny new things. It is about getting addicted to initiating, and as soon as you are faced with the task of following through, your energy sinks.
[37:08] – Arjuna talks about brain chemistry.
- 12 to 3 is a play of serotonin and dopamine.
- The movement from 3 to 6 is through testosterone-inspired accomplishments.
[43:05] – That one reason why you have to read Arjuna’s book!
- There are unresolved crisis-proportioned problems everywhere you look.
- There are ways we are living which are simply unsustainable.
- Being a great and brilliant human being means that you recognize the urgency to contribute.
- Young entrepreneurs are the hope of the future not because they are primarily inspired by profit, but because they are inspired by contribution.
- Your primary motivation is to get out of bed in the morning and make the greatest difference you can make.
[48:29] – Arjuna’s parting piece of guidance:
- Check out Arjuna’s website: Radical Brilliance and grab your own copy of Arjuna’s book today: Radical Brilliance!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!