From the archive: This episode was originally recorded and published in 2018. Our interviews on Entrepreneurs On Fire are meant to be evergreen, and we do our best to confirm that all offers and URL’s in these archive episodes are still relevant.
Allen Gannett is the founder and CEO of TrackMaven, a marketing analytics platform whose clients have included Microsoft, Marriott, Saks Fifth Avenue, Home Depot, Aetna, Honda, and GE. He has been on the “30 Under 30” lists for both Inc. and Forbes. He is a contributor for FastCompany.com and has an upcoming book, The Creative Curve, on how anyone can achieve moments of creative genius, coming out in June 2018 from Currency, a division of Penguin Random House. He was also once a very pitiful runner-up on Wheel of Fortune.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
The Creative Curve – Get Allen’s book
TheCreativeCurve.com – Allen’s website
TrackMaven.com – Allen’s company
3 Value Bombs
1) Consumption is one of the leading indicators of creativity.
2) Luck is where efforts meet opportunity. Those people are putting themselves in the right place, putting in the effort, so when the opportunity comes, they make things happen.
3) Humans are walking contradictions. We crave safety but we also crave novelty. It’s like weighing risk and rewards.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: The hidden truths behind creating success with Allen Gannett
[01:31] – Allen shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
[03:19] – JLD and Allen do a quick overview of what we’re going to talk about.
[05:24] – The neurological and psychological mechanism behind flashes of genius…
- What is this Flash of Genius?
- These “AHA!” moments are just another way our brain processes problems.
- These aren’t special; they are subconscious.
[09:38] – Allen’s thoughts about these “AHA!” moments.
- The best creators spend an enormous amount of time creating content.
- You’re not going to connect the dots if you don’t have the dots to connect.
[12:58] – How famous people engage in the “20% Principle”
- Some of the best creators spend more time consuming than creating.
- The two versions of creativity — the lower case “c” creativity and the upper case “C” Creativity.
[15:51] – JLD talks about consuming versus producing…
- “You’ll be outdated at some point if you don’t keep up with your audience and their experience by consuming.” – Allen
[16:49] – JLD and AG talk about the “One Hit Wonder”.
- The 2 underlying urges that drive our preference.
- We crave things that are familiar.
- We also seek out things that are novel because we want potential new sources of reward.
[22:10] – The imitation side of things and how that allows Allen to create ideas that have the right mix of both familiarity and novelty.
- Imitation is the shortcut for learning the familiar.
[26:13] – Allen’s answer to the question, “Have you ever studied K-pop (Korean Pop)?”
- Allen talks about Max Martin, a Swedish Hit Songwriter, record producer and singer.
[28:48] – Let’s chat about the importance of creative communities and how some successful people have utilized them to reach success.
- “Creativity is a SOCIAL PHENOMENON!”
[32:19] – Iteration is key, but where does that leave a creator?
- Allen thinks that this is most frustrating for someone who studies creativity.
- Create something that spreads a message – that has an impact on people.
[34:51] – Allen’s parting piece of guidance:
- It takes a huge amount of thoughtful hard work to become a creative genius. If you’re telling yourself that you can’t do it, you’re giving yourself an excuse. There are no silver bullets.
- Snag your own copy of Allen’s book today! The Creative Curve
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!