Bill Treasurer is the author of A Leadership Kick in the Ass and 3 other books. He’s worked with thousands of leaders across the globe from organizations such as NASA, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lenovo, CNN, the Pittsburgh Pirates and the U.S. Veterans Administration. His motto is Be Courageous!
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- A Leadership Kick in the Ass – Bill’s book
- Connect with Bill on Giant Leap Consulting, Courage Building, and on his personal website
- FunnelOnFire – Learn how to create a funnel that converts!
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- It’s your ego that can get you into trouble—when things fail, do you blame others to protect your ego or own your share of the problem?
- Respect yourself and other people equally.
- Leadership is NOT about the leader, it’s about serving those who you lead.
- Constant Contact: See how you can be a marketer: sign up for a free trial today at ConstantContact.com/podcast!
- Alibaba: Check out Alibaba’s 2-day conference in Detroit called Gateway17 going down June 20th and 21st where you’ll learn how to capitalize on the fastest-growing consumer market in the world. Save up to 50% on your registration fee by visiting Gateway17.com and entering code FIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:12] – Bill is a dad and is living a crazy-busy life
- [01:45] – He lives a fun and interesting life, but he’ll be getting an MRI today
- [02:04] – Bill was on Episode 965 of EOFire
- [02:41] – Bill helps people be more courageous
- [03:51] – He moved to the leadership arena about 6 years ago
- [04:00] – He now focuses on both courage and opportunity
- [05:12] – JLD shares a story about his uncle, Steve, who reminds him of the importance of humility
- [05:56] – The work that Bill does is NOT just theoretical
- [06:21] – He learns from his clients; he learns from the hardships and challenges they face
- [06:40] – He doesn’t think of himself as an expert, but a plumber who helps leaders be better leaders
- [07:19] – It’s a natural consequence of an ego to kick someone in the booty
- [07:40] – The coach of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Clint Hurdle, wrote the foreword of Bill’s book
- [08:10] – “It’s our own ego state that gets us into trouble”
- [08:58] – When the consequence happens, you have a choice – to believe your ego was right or realize you contributed to the failure
- [10:27] – The Pig Heads and Weakling Leaders
- [10:56] – The highest aspiration of the ideal leader is that they have confidence and humility
- [11:44] – When confidence becomes conceit, a leader starts to become a pig head
- [12:46] – When somebody has too much humility, the leader becomes a weakling
- [13:30] – Have self-respect and respect others equally
- [14:22] – Holy Shift!
- [16:10] – Bill shares a story regarding the boot camp that he does
- [17:24] – The Holy Shift is about getting out of yourself and to start thinking about the people you’re leading
- [17:30] – #1 law of leadership – It’s NOT about you
- [17:52] – Holy Shift is about moving away from yourself and into service
- [18:04] – Bill’s book, A Leadership Kick in the Ass, and its chapter, Leading at the Point of Goodness
- [18:37] – The largest volume of business that Bill has done was working with 3 unionized construction companies
- [18:53] – The book is dedicated to the CEO of one of those companies
- [19:10] – “We really learn from the seasoning events that we have”
- [19:43] – “You can’t be a conditional leader”
- [20:23] – The place to start as a leader is with your internal goodness
- [20:30] – Start by being a good person with values
- [21:14] – Make sure that you have times where you are entirely disconnected
- [21:54] – Always do the right thing
- [22:19] – Connect with Bill on Giant Leap Consulting, Courage Building, and via his personal website.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!