Philip is a business visionary, entrepreneur, digital marketing pioneer and a board-level executive. He provides strategy, marketing, product and technology leadership to companies and organizations. He has built and sold four companies and been a strategic advisor, marketing visionary, product marketer and board-level director to a number of start-ups and major names in the technology, real estate and travel sectors.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Skype – Philip’s small business resource
- The Long Tail – Philip’s Top Business Book
- Stop Think Focus Execute – Philip’s website
- FunnelOnFire – Learn how to create a funnel that converts!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Stop and think – do not rush into things before you stop and think.
- The truth, in any given situation, will ALWAYS win.
- Always fall back on logic and honesty.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Host Gator: With HostGator, having a website is easy AND affordable. Visit HostGator.com/fire for 60% off today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:06] – Philip is in Edinburgh, Canada but is originally from Scotland
- [01:53] – His area of expertise is in being a visionary
- [02:45] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: People move TOO fast
- [06:54] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Philip had just finished building and selling his most successful venture. Immediately, he dove into a new venture, which was a restaurant. It turned out to be an idiotic choice because he didn’t know anything about restaurants. His partner and himself were both absentee entrepreneurs, and the restaurant failed and they lost money.
- [08:27] – Your thoughts can be great, but they should come with focus and analysis
- [09:24] – Go back to where and how you make money
- [10:07] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Philip’s greatest idea was making a call to Microsoft. He called the CEO and they got the business to launch in Canada
- [11:39] – What Philip said to the CEO that got him the project was, “What you’re doing is not very good. We could do a lot better”
- [13:23] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m pretty fired up about this thing called stop, think, focus, and execute”
- [14:56] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I didn’t think there was anything holding me back – people were kicking me out”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Tidy desk, tidy mind, or you’re fired”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “It’s persistence”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Skype
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
- [17:08] – Always use logic to make decisions
- [17:34] – Connect with Philip on his website
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!