Blair and his team are on a mission to save the world’s crumbling roadways. He is Author of the Amazon #1 Best Seller The Book On Better Roads and has driven over 150,000 miles in less than 3 years to teach local agencies how to do just this for less money and less carbon footprint and save our Country 2.5 billion dollars per year!
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Audiobooks and Beats – Blair’s favorite tools that he uses daily
- The Slight Edge, Crush It, and The Compound Effect – Book recommendations from this episode
- BlairBarnhardt.com/fire – Three buttons to free video resources
- TheFreedomJournal.com – A guide to accomplishing your goals
3 Key Points:
- If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, pursue starting your own business.
- Don’t be discouraged by “asteroids.” When problems come up, find a creative solution.
- Keep persevering and adjusting your business model until you see results.
- ZipRecruiter: If you’re ready to start hiring, then ZipRecruiter is where you can find your perfect candidate! Try ZipRecruiter for free today at ziprecruiter.com/fire!
- Earth Class Mail: Move your snail mail to the cloud! Visit earthclassmail.com/fire
and enter promo code FIRE to get your first month of service free!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:10] – Blair was laid off from a high position in a painting company, and jumped into the entrepreneurial world.
- [01:27] – He has a wife and two children.
- [01:44] – He’s a musician on one side, and an engineer on the other.
- [02:07] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – Eight sources of income. Helping people put down the right pavement with the right contractors — from teaching to working on the roads.
- [03:28] – We focused on one area until we achieved success.
- [04:28] -Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: No incentive to change in his industry.
- [04:54] – He was attending conferences and meeting people.
- [05:20] – There was not a high level of interest with his teaching programs.
- [05:46] – He was so excited about seeing success with his business.
- [06:03] – On the day he launched – “crickets.”
- [06:18] – Not one sale.
- [06:47] – He learned that he needed to work harder and use his own knowledge.
- [07:09] – Product Launch Formula (PLF), by Jeff Walker.
- [07:50] – Struggling with a lead generation.
- [08:07] – What was the source of traffic flowing into your funnel? – We had 3,000 people on our mailing list, and now we have 30,000.
- [08:52] – They built up anticipation for their launch.
- [09:26] – What is the thing that you would adjust if you could do it all over again? – I would have built up the email list and provided some free content.
- [10:58] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: A moment in time last year.
- [11:16] – “Watch for the asteroid.”
- [11:24] – He was meeting with a county engineer, and another county engineer called him.
- [12:30] – The engineer said that they could not accept his bid to save them money. He was receiving threats from higher-ups.
- [13:18] – There was corruption at the local level.
- [14:00] – When you face an asteroid, see if you can shift that.
- [14:30] – What do you want people to get out of your story? – “Don’t beat yourself up over the asteroids. Find the right customers and serve them like heck.”
- [15:00] –Biggest weakness? –“Weapons of mass distraction.” Not knowing how to say ‘no.’
- [16:31] – “When you say ‘yes’ to something, you’re actually saying ‘no’ to something else.”
- [16:30] – Biggest strength? – “I have no off switch.”
- [16:17] – What has Blair most fired up today? –The secret gift at the end of the podcast; his show.
- [20:45] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – I was born an entrepreneur, but there was a gap along the way as I worked “for the man.”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Serve. Serve.
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – The 5-2-1 Rule. Every day: Listen to 5 podcasts. Implement 2 techniques from the podcasts. Listen to 1 audio book.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Audiobooks and Beats headphones.
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Slight Edge, and Crush It. John suggests The Compound Effect.
- Imagine you woke up in a brand new world, and all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – Open up a YouTube account, Infusionsoft account, and Facebook account. I would produce content on how to make videos and give away one hour for free, with an up sell. Survey people to see what they’d like to learn.
- Parting piece of guidance – Be intently focused on today and living in the present, so you don’t wake up tomorrow starting to regret for a lifetime all the things you didn’t do yesterday.
- 26:50 – BlairBarnhardt.com/fire for three buttons to free video resources.
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!