Charlie helps people start finishing what matters most. He’s the founder of Productive Flourishing and the author of two books, the latest being Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done.
Start Finishing – Reserve a copy of Charlie’s book, Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done!
3 Value Bombs
1) Remember that failure is not a character trait. Own your success more than you own your failure.
2) There are things that you don’t like to do. Don’t create too much of a story around it; just get it done.
3) The more people start finishing the stuff that matters, the more they find their success. But more importantly than that, the more they find their happiness and they set themselves up to thrive.
Capterra: Online reviews help us make decisions daily – and they can also help you find the right software for your business! Visit Capterra.com/fire to find the tools to make an informed software decision for your business today!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: 3 Strategies to Start Finishing What Matters Most with Charlie Gilkey
[1:23] – Charlie shares something about himself that most people don’t know.
- Over the last 3 months Charlie lost 25 lbs.
[2:51] – Why don’t people work on the ideas and projects that most light them up?
- Charlie finds it interesting that the things that matters the most are the things that actually make it harder to fire you up.
- Are you a Rocking chair? – Tune in to hear what this means!
[4:58] – How can Fire Nation get better at prioritizing projects and pushing them to “done”?
- If you are prioritizing everything, you are prioritizing nothing.
- Choose 3 to 5 things that matter the most and focus on those.
- The 5 Projects Rule – No more than 5 active projects at any given time
- Momentum – if you finish 3 significant, strategic, worthy projects a week, and you do that every week, you will gain so much
[8:30] – JLD is on the same page – he created The Mastery Journal to help with focus sessions and accomplishing the things that matter most every single day
- Think of the compound effect of actually completing projects.
[9:12]- What should Fire Nation do when others don’t believe in their ideas or projects?
- Naysayers vs. Yaysayers
- Focus on the Yaysayers
[14:55] – How can we get our project unstuck and going again?
- There are 3 ways in which a project can gets stuck:
- The Cascade – one project gets behind, which creates other projects getting behind; solve it by stopping new projects. Instead, start thinking about the ones that you can get off your plate the quickest.
- The Log Jam – when you have multiple types of projects that all have to get done at the same time. Solve this by getting at least one project moving, or learn to say no.
- The Tarpit – Overwhelming projects the gets stuck repeatedly. Solve this by identifying what scares you / is stopping you from moving forward.
[21:11] – What should we do if we’re carrying the baggage of previous failures with us?
- Remember that failure is not a character trait. Own your success more than you own your failure.
[24:53] – How can we get motivated to do work that we are dreading?
- Charlie talks about a Mark Twain frog strategy.
- There are things that you don’t like to do. Don’t create too much story around it; just get it done.
[28:57] – Charlie’s parting piece of guidance
- Start Finishing – Reserve a copy of Charlie’s book, Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done!
- The more people start finishing the stuff that matters, the more they find their success. But more importantly than that, the more they find their happiness and they set themselves up to thrive.
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!