Chris is a passionate family man who loves learning, travel, and exploring the wild places. He is the CEO of LifterLMS, an online course building platform for educational entrepreneurs.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Wim Hof Online Course – Chris’ small business resource
Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers, and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets – Chris’ Top Business Book
LifterLMS – Chris’ website
Connect with Chris on his podcast
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
Free Podcast Course – A free 15-day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
3 Value Bombs
1) Start your business by building your community first.
2) Niche down! Stop being a generalist – be specific about the value you have to offer.
3) Lead with your actions; not with your words.
Breather: Don’t overpay for space you don’t need – book a Breather space, just for the time you need it! Try Breather today and you’ll receive $100 off your first booking when you go to Breather.com/fire!
Marriott Premier Business Card: Exclusively for business owners. Get the Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card and let your business take care of you for a change with 80,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening! Learn more at MarriottPremierBusiness.com/
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:53] – Chris started as an outdoor guide in Alaska
[01:12] – He’s passionate about hanging out with great people
[01:20] – He got into freelancing to build websites
[02:05] – Online education, membership sites, and online courses are Chris’ areas of expertise
[02:14] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: People try to build a business in this order: setup the technology, build the content and create community. Instead, they need to do it the other way around. Start by building a community. Try a pilot program first, before shopping for tools
[03:09] – In-person networking and local meet ups are good ways to build community
[03:29] – “Leadership starts with yourself”
[04:31] – Chris unschooled his children
[04:53] – Unschooling is a child-led philosophy of education
[05:46] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Chris had his dream job in Alaska. When he left the job to freelance, he only made $10,000 in his first year. He started to build his own online course site for permaculture. They had very little money and he didn’t know if it would work
[07:37] – Chris started off as a generalist who niched down
[08:35] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Chris has written a lot of blog posts and his 80th post took off. People started inquiring about his services. He created a blog because he could not find what he was looking for. He got to the point where he was creating $60K websites
[11:58] – “The real business problem is all about results”
[12:25] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Designing learning tools around results”
[12:39] – Chris has a guiding mission around what makes meaningful results – LLC (Learning, Leadership, Community)
[14:03] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Misconceptions and lack of mentoring”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Lead with your actions more than with your words”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I have a 4-hour morning routine that starts at 5am… I do a gratitude journal, Wim Hof breathing and shower, cold water exposure. I delegate some things to my team. I actually have a checklist in Excel that I literally go down”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Wim Hof Online Course
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers, and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets – “it had a profound impact for me”
[20:30] – In addition to passive income, create active income, too
[22:06] – In-source the things you can
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!