Chris is the author of Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It and the Founder/CEO of the Black Swan Group. A 24-year veteran of the FBI, he retired as their lead international kidnapping negotiator. His company solves business communication problems with hostage negotiation solutions.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Hubspot – Chris’ business resource
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if Your Life Depended on It – Chris’ book
- The Black Swan Group – Chris’ website
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- No deal is better than a bad deal.
- Never say YES if you haven’t ironed out the HOW.
- When it comes to negotiating, don’t obsess over dollars and cents.
- Northeastern U: Northeastern University’s D’Amore McKim School of Business offers the master’s degree for corporate entrepreneurs and is now accepting applications for its January cohort of online Innovation students!
- Clear: The best way to get through the airport! Get your first 2 months of Clear for FREE. Visit clearme.com and use code EOFIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:09] – Lived in New York for 14 years and now teaches business negotiation
- [01:48] – Value Bomb Drop: Stop trying to get people to say yes, get people to say no
- [03:00] – What is something you’ve changed your mind about in the last 6 months? Learning lessons the hard way
- [04:01] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: I was over-confident and a lucrative contract became 3 years of pain
- [05:38] – Take yourself hostage in every business deal, if you don’t, you’ll never figure out how to make the deal on YOUR terms
- [05:51] – No deal is better than a bad deal and a YES is nothing without a HOW
- [06:40] – Entrepreneurial AH–HA Moment: Being a tough negotiator and maximizing your dollars generally don’t mesh well
- [10:08] – What is your biggest weakness as an entrepreneur? My ability to project holds me back
- [11:30] – What is your biggest strength? My credibility
- [12:11] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? Spreading the Black Swan gospel
- [15:20] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The government turning me loose”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Have zero expectations”
- What’s the personal habit that contributes to your success? “Relentlessness and the desire to just go after it”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Hubspot
- 17:58 – Chris’ website
- [18:30] – Parting piece of guidance: “Stay true to who you are”
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!