Dave is a personal trainer and life coach who was chosen as “Canada’s Top Fitness Professional.” He is the guru when it comes to helping women lose weight permanently. His Make Your Body Work blog and podcast inspire thousands of women each month to take control over their health.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Toggl – Dave’s small business resource
- Daring Greatly – Dave’s Top Business Book
- Connect with Dave on his website and via his podcast
- Free Goals Course – A free 8 day course on how to set and accomplish your biggest goals!
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time
3 Key Points:
- Be in a niche that will set you apart, and make your target market more interested in you.
- Going into what you want won’t always work for you, so test the water before jumping in
- Validate your ideas.
- Allstate: Be more than just an agent. Be an Allstate Agency Owner and earn equity in the business you build! Visit AllstateAgent.com/eofire to learn more about owning an Allstate Agency. Subject to the terms of the agency agreements.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:00] – Dave has been working the fitness world for years and years
- [01:05] – It started way back in high school when he was class president
- [01:15] – After a presentation, a girl mentioned how skinny his arms were
- [01:28] – As an 18-year old boy, Dave’s heart was shattered, so he signed up to take classes
- [01:34] – 21 years later, Dave hasn’t looked back from that first class
- [02:04] – Dave started working mostly with men as a personal trainer, but he noticed a major psychological perspective in the few female clients he had
- [02:58] – Now, Dave works mostly with women who are pre-menopausal going through menopause
- [03:31] – “I’m doing what I’ve always done but now the results are not working” is what Dave hears from his clients
- [04:10] – “If you want to change your body, start lifting weights”
- [05:15] – Dave is also 37 – same as JLD
- [05:30] – “It doesn’t take hours and hours to be ultra-fit”
- [05:51] – Be consistent to see results
- [06:16] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Dave started along the typical path for personal trainers
- [06:35] – After 5 years in the industry, Dave opened up a full industrial size commercial gym with personal trainers
- [06:47] – 6 months in, he was miserable
- [07:06] – While cleaning the gym’s toilet at 11PM, Dave asked himself what he was doing
- [07:27] – Dave decided to sell the business and risk being unemployed
- [07:29] – “It was the scariest moment but in retrospect, the most life-giving moment of my career”
- 07:55 – JLD recommends The E-Myth Revisited
- [08:29] – JLD suggests that before going into a business you want, try to talk to people who are currently in that business to see if the shoe really fits
- [09:25] – Try to intern for free just to experience and learn more about the business
- [09:54] – When JLD hired Jaime Masters as his mentor, he asked her to talk about her first 2 years as a podcast host
- [10:53] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Dave’s ah-ha moment happened when he sold his gym
- [10:55] – Dave found an entrepreneur on Craigslist who was looking for a studio to rent to film workout videos
- [11:06] – The entrepreneur came and showed Dave how he made a video
- [11:12] – The entrepreneur was getting thousands of views on YouTube
- [11:35] – After selling the studio, Dave had the idea to create a video of The 10/4 Challenge
- [11:45] – Dave started advertising on Facebook and people started signing up
- [13:35] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? Dave feels excited when he sees other personal trainers take their business online
- [17:17] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I was a victim of the shiny object syndrome”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “You become the average of the 5 people who you spend the most of time with”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Dave has 2 accountability partners and they do monthly video calls to talk about everything from personal to business
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Toggl
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Daring Greatly is all about building relationships and being vulnerable in relationships
- [20:52] – “You get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want”
- 21:16 – Connect with Dave on his website and via his podcast
- [21:36] – Dave used to build lead magnets
- 21:51 – Go to MakeYourBodyWork.com/fire to get one of Dave’s most successful lead magnets
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!