David Henzel is a serial entrepreneur who has bootstrapped several companies. After a big wakeup call in his personal life, he realized he needed to change big time, which resulted in selling MaxCDN and launching Managing Happiness.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Bitrix24 – David’s small business resource
Outwitting the Devil – David’s Top Business Book
Managing Happiness – David’s website
Connect with David on his blog
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Setting up your roles and responsibilities both in the household and in business reduces the chance of conflict.
2) Start your day with gratitude—name, one-by-one, the things you are thankful for.
3) Make decisions out of a place of love rather than fear.
DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
Organifi: I’ve been researching plant-based supplements that will help me not just feel my best, but also perform my best, and Organifi’s protein is smooth, filling and the vanilla flavor is yummy! See for yourself: visit Organifi.com and save 20% with promo code FIRE!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:14] – David’s big wake up call was when his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer
[01:47] – He always wanted to impact other peoples’ lives
[02:06] – David is originally from Germany
[02:12] – He sold his ecommerce business in Germany in 2007 to move to the US
[02:19] – He co-founded MaxCDN in 2009, which was sold last year
[02:37] – His wife wanted to move back to Germany, but they ended up in Turkey
[04:14] – MaxCDN was a fun ride for David, but he really wanted to do something that would impact peoples’ lives
[04:31] – He gave much thought to defining his personal mission
- He wanted to make sure whatever he did was in line with his mission
[06:18] – David’s area of expertise is in helping people discuss and define the roles and responsibilities they have in both their household and business
[07:21] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: David started implementing business principles in his personal life to organize their family. For every request and decision he need to make, David would ask if the thing in question was in line with his personal mission statement. This made it easier for David to say “Yes” or “No”
[08:36] – This strategy improved David’s company so much that it led to the launch of Managing Happiness
[10:27] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Apply roles and responsibilities in your home life and unspoken expectations will disappear
[11:20] – Make one rule that makes sense for everybody
[11:53] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Three years ago, when business was going well, David’s daughter was born. Two weeks after his daughter’s birth, his mom passed away. His wife also started to have abdominal pain that required two surgeries. Two weeks after this, David’s grandma passed away
[13:06] – An employee asked David how he managed all of this
[13:29] – David picks up stones and puts them in his pocket—one stone for everything he’s grateful for
[14:16] – It’s important to be emotionally strong
[14:38] – David is also good at accepting things, no matter how bad
[15:09] – “Perception is reality”
[15:52] – Find the proper habits that will help you succeed
[16:22] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m super fired up about my upcoming podcast”
[16:54] – David’s new podcast will be The Managing Happiness Show
[17:19] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Being an introvert”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Make decisions out of love and not out of fear”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I personally use a happy tracker on my phone”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Bitrix24
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Outwitting the Devil – “this book really changed my life”
[22:41] – Manage your family like a business
[23:12] – Connect with David on his blog or on his website
[23:18] – Use coupon code: FIRE for David’s course to get 25% OFF at Managing Happiness
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!