Derek is the founder & CEO of The Artist Evolution, a full service marketing agency building successful brands, marketing tools, and campaigns for startups and household brands. He is also the author of the best-selling book Don’t Buy A Duck, endorsed by Seth Godin, and co founder of ChampagneMarketingCourses.com.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Derek shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – Derek is both a father and a husband
- [01:11] – He’s always been interested in business and music
- [01:21] – Derek’s first time on stage was at the age of three
- [01:37] – By age of 12, Derek was already managing a band where he and his brother were members
- [01:48] – His first business was a franchise he took over at 18 years old
- [02:36] – Derek’s area of expertise is in fixing the five crisis points in marketing
- [03:03] – The five things Derek generally fixes are:
- [06:09] – Derek has a marketing course where he goes through exercises for the 5 things in marketing that need to be fixed
- [06:27] – Have a plan of action and be ready to execute that plan
- [08:08] – Test! Test! Test!
- [08:25] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Derek was in the music industry for years and he had an opportunity to leave. Through a transition and a buyout not in Derek’s favor, he ended up in another company he never had any intention of working for. He left Los Angeles without a personal WHY.
- [11:28] – It’s alright to be a legacy entrepreneur
- [11:45] – Make sure you know your personal WHY
- [13:04] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Derek’s ah-ha moment was when he was thinking about where his business’ niche would be. Being the execution specialist, Derek positioned them to be just that: “execution specialists”—something a lot of marketing professionals won’t do.
- [15:48] – Don’t make your customers come to you or meet them halfway – meet them where they are
- [16:09] – In 2017, Derek commoditized websites and videos for clients
- [16:41] – Be solution-oriented
- [17:25] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “2 things – I am most fired up that we’ve been in business for 10 years… and I have this new online course”
- [20:49] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Focus and patience”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Isolation is the enemy of excellence”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I tackle the important things to make sure the big things happen”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – BombBomb Video
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – View from the Top – “it fills in a missing piece for me as an entrepreneur”
- [23:03] – Think strategically, not emotionally
- [23:47] – PETMAG (Plan, Execute, Track, Measure, Adjust, and Grow) is an acronym Derek coined
- 24:03 – Check out ChampagneMarketingCourses.com/Fire to get a 25% OFF of Derek’s courses plus FREE Downloads
- 24:21 – Check Derek’s book: Don’t Buy a Duck
- 24:24 – Connect with Derek on LinkedIn
3 Key Points:
- Don’t just write off something that isn’t working – make sure you do it consistently first and if it yields the same result, that’s when you stop.
- Everybody has to move on at some point in time – embrace it when that time comes.
- Meet your customers where they are.
- BombBomb Video – Derek’s small business resource
- View from the Top – Derek’s Top Business Book
- Don’t Buy a Duck – Derek’s book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- ChampagneMarketingCourses.com – Derek’s website
- Connect with Derek on LinkedIn
- FunnelOnFire – An 8-day course on how to create a funnel that converts!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
- SmartMove: If you own a rental property, or know someone who does, try SmartMove so you don’t find out the hard way that a prospective tenant is a risk. Visit TenantScreening.com, enter code FireNation, and get 25% off your next screening!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2)The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!