Diane, CSP, is Founder and CEO of DiResta Communications, Inc., a New York City consultancy serving business leaders who deliver high stakes presentations— whether one-to-one, in front of a crowd, or from an electronic platform. DiResta is the author of Knockout Presentations: How to Deliver Your Message with Power, Punch, and Pizzazz, an Amazon.com category best-seller.
DiResta Communication Inc. – Diane’s website
3 Value Bombs
1) There are 2 major reasons why people don’t leverage the power of public speaking as a marketing tool: the fear factor and ignorance.
2) Y.A.M. is a formula that includes everything you need to know about public speaking. Know Yourself, know your Audience, and know your Message.
3) Gifted speakers are born. Effective speakers are made.
ZipRecruiter: Successful businesses rely on quality people. But finding quality people can be tough. That’s why I love ZipRecruiter! Its powerful technology scans thousands of resumes to identify people with the right skills and experience, and then actively invites them to apply for your job! That means you get quality candidates fast. And right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free! Visit ZipRecruiter.com/fire. ZipRecruiter. The smartest way to hire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Set Your Audience on Fire: How to Give a Knockout Presentation
[01:52] – Diane shares something interesting about herself that most people don’t know.
[04:05] – Why is speaking the new competitive advantage for entrepreneurs?
- With social media and so much transparency, people want to know who you are.
- You are the brand, as the CEO. So, it’s really important for you to be able to speak because speaking is what’s going to get your message out.
[06:02] – Why is communication a soft skill that also has a hard dollar bottom line result?
- In the absence of communication, there can be no business.
- Speaking, when you do it well, brings in dollars.
- Stock investments are about psychology. It’s based on fear and confidence. The wrong communication can change markets.
[10:11] – Why is speaking one of the most powerful and cost-effective marketing strategies?
- The 2 major reasons why people don’t leverage the power of public speaking as a marketing tool are the fear factor and ignorance.
- Speaking gives you the chance to speak and get leads in one shot versus individual cold calls, meetings, or emails.
[12:23] – Speakers make mistakes when they’re selling on stage. Why is that the case?
- The mistake that people make is that they are in front of a group, but that group is not really their buyers.
- Another mistake is that they have poor delivery. When you convey a message, if you don’t sound enthusiastic, if you’re not confident and clear, people lose interest right away and they won’t believe that you are a player or a leader.
- Hard-selling from stage is a big mistake, too. What you need to do instead is to educate and provide value.
- Sometimes people may not be hard-selling, but they’re not really providing any value.
- If you advertise what you’re going to talk about, stick to that, and deliver what you promise – great! If you don’t, you’re going to lose credibility and you will not be successful within the speaking world.
- Lack of follow up is also a mistake.
17:21 – A timeout to thank our sponsor, ZipRecruiter!
[17:34] – What’s the secret to getting your audience fired up?
- First of all, you have to be fired up yourself.
- Anything that you can do to get people excited will get people fired up.
- Make people believe the possibility of their greatness.
[18:48] – The Y.A.M Principle
- Y.A.M. is a formula that includes everything you need to know about public speaking. Know Yourself, your Audience, and your Message.
- Know yourself—who are you as a package of skills? What is your brand? What is your style? Stay true to that, because if you’re not authentic, your audience knows it.
- Know your Audience—there are three things that your audience is thinking even though it may be subliminal.
- Who are you?
- Who are you to tell me?
- What’s in it for me?
- Know your message—familiarize, don’t memorize. That means you have key message points and you tell them in a conversational way, so that if you forget one thing, you can tell it in a different way.
[21:30] – It is nerve-wracking to get in front of an audience. How do we manage our nerves?
- Nervousness is a mindset. It begins in the mind. The body just reflects what’s going on internally.
- When you are nervous, you are being self-centered.
- If you’re nervous, you’re living in the future. You’re thinking of all the things that can go wrong.
- Think of nervousness as adrenaline. What you want to do is to channel that adrenaline to give you a dynamic performance.
[24:13] – Gifted speakers are born. Effective speakers are made.
- Anybody can be effective in communicating their message from their brain to your brain.
[26:57] – Diane’s parting piece of guidance
- Speaking is the new competitive advantage. It is a business skill. It is a soft skill that has hard bottom-line results.
- DiResta Communication Inc. – head over to Diane’s website to see what she has going on!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!