Douglas Folsom is a former pastor, award-winning filmmaker, novelist, and screenwriter who writes inspirational dramas with a touch of magical realism. He has written two highly reviewed novels, The Return of the Santa Fe Super Chief, and Over the Monster, and two award-winning screenplays based on the novels.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Phil Cooke – Douglas’ small business resource
The Saints and The Poets – Douglas’ Top Business Book
The Return of the Santa Fe Super Chief and Over the Monster – Douglas’ books
Connect with Douglas on Facebook and Twitter
DouglasFolsom.com – Doug’s website
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) People learn and connect with stories.
2) Don’t let the negatives get in your way.
3) Find your passion and follow your curiosity.
DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
Organifi: I’ve been researching plant-based supplements that will help me not just feel my best, but also perform my best, and Organifi’s protein is smooth, filling and the vanilla flavor is yummy! See for yourself: visit Organifi.com and save 20% with promo code FIRE!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:12] – Douglas went to New York University at a young age and studied acting for years
[01:24] – He then went into the ministry as a pastor
[01:31] – He moved out to California to continue his film pursuits
[01:39] – He also became a chaplain at a hospital in Burbank and at Los Angeles Center Studios
[01:57] – He joined eHarmony in 2006 where he met his wife, Renee
[03:10] – Douglas’ area of expertise is in telling stories
[04:11] – He writes inspirational stories with emotional depth
[04:20] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: “Writers and artists in general have a responsibility to help remind people what it’s like to feel deeply about life”
[05:04] – “We learn from stories and we connect with stories”
[06:30] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: After Douglas wrote his first novel, he received mostly 5-star and 4-star reviews. Out of nowhere, he got low-rating review because someone just wanted to be cruel
- Even the most gifted people get criticized in their area of strength
- Look at other successful people who get criticized – you’re not the only one
[09:28] – JLD shares a story about The Freedom Journal
[10:20] – Identify the negatives
[10:38] – Sapiens is a book that talks about innate lizard-brain thinking
[11:27] – Focus on the positive
[12:00] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Douglas didn’t know what to write initially when he transitioned to writing novels. A teacher told him to write down 10 things he felt strongly about in a positive way and 10 in a negative way to find his story ideas
[12:42] – “It’s the same thing when you’re trying to figure out what business you want”
[13:58] – If you’re in-touch with your passion, it will show up
[15:17] – If you find your passion, people will definitely see it
[16:08] – Passion doesn’t always equal what you’re excited about
[17:36] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I recently obtained the legal rights to write about a World War II romance for my next project”
[19:34] – Find out more about Douglas’ new book on Facebook and Amazon
[20:06] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was fear of the unknown and lack of the financial resources”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Faith is being sure of hope for, and certain of, what we do not see… Keep writing”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “My most important habit is prayer”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Phil Cooke
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Saints and The Poets – “this book helps creative people slow down and put their life in perspective”
[24:02] – Take time out and be energized
[24:54] – Get Douglas’ novels, The Return of the Santa Fe Super Chief and Over the Monster on Amazon
[25:02] – Connect with Douglas on Facebook and Twitter
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!