Emily Thompson is the co-founder and host of Being Boss, a resource, community, and podcast for creative entrepreneurs with over 11 million downloads. She’s also the founder and CEO of Almanac Supply Co., a retail brand that makes and curates products that help people connect with nature. For over a decade Emily has worked closely with creatives to help them make money doing work they love, with a focus on building online business models and growing creative businesses. She’s also the co-author of Being Boss: Take Control of Your Work and Live Life on Your Own Terms.
3 Value Bombs
1) Focus on creating a valuable relationship with your community.
2) Don’t be afraid to try anything and everything.
3) Nobody wants a pale weak imitation of somebody else. What people want is the real, true, authentic you and the value that you can give.
ProsperSpark: Anything and everything you can imagine in Excel, ProsperSpark can create and deliver it for you! Book a free project call today at ProsperSpark.com/fire! Mention Entrepreneurs On Fire to receive a 10% discount up to $1,000 on your project or service agreement!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: My Interview at INBOUND 2022 with Emily Thompson of Being Boss
[1:40] – JLD introduces Emily
- Emily and JLD were connected through the HubSpot Podcast Network
- This interview was done live on stage at INBOUND 2022, brought to you by HubSpot
- JLD shares that his dream guest is Barack Obama.
[4:42] – What are your top 2 tips for someone looking to launch their podcast in today’s environment?
- Emily’s first tip:
- Don’t worry about years of creating content.
- Create episodes and let your content do its job.
- Emily’s second tip:
- Don’t do interviews. Find your voice in your first few episodes and prove your expertise.
- Focus on creating a valuable relationship with your community.
[11:10] – JLD’s top 2 tactics:
- Niche your flipping face-off.
- Take your idea and niche it – identify the void.
- Build a community around your podcast topic before you launch your podcast.
[16:26] – A timeout to thank our sponsors!
- Closers.io: A world-leading sales training and certification company. For more info on their sales certification visit Closers.io/eof!
- ProsperSpark: Anything and everything you can imagine in Excel, ProsperSpark can create and deliver it for you! Book a free project call today at ProsperSpark.com/fire! Mention Entrepreneurs On Fire to receive a 10% discount up to $1,000 on your project or service agreement!
- HubSpot: A platform that’s easy for your entire team to use! Learn how HubSpot can make it easier for your business to grow better at Hubspot.com!
[19:30] – What are the 2 growth tactics you recommend for someone who already has – or is about to have – a podcast?
- Emily’s 2 growth tactics
- Don’t be afraid to try anything and everything.
- Do interviews. It is known as a great tactic to grow.
[23:19] – JLD’s 2 growth tactics
- Your podcast needs to be you. Your voice, your message, your thing.
- Podcast listeners listen to podcasts. Find a podcast in your niche and pitch yourself to be a guest on that show.
[30:43] – Why did your podcast become a success?
- We were the only women-led podcast talking about business at the time. We talked about business in a way that our community understood – specially for creatives.
- Nobody wants a pale weak imitation of somebody else. What people want is the real, true, authentic you and the value that you can give.
- Being Boss – Check out Emily’s podcast, Being Boss, also brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network!
[35:26] – Post Roll Sponsors
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!