Eric Rems is the Founder of The Mindful Tech Lab, a company whose technology applications have helped over 1 million people improve their lives in the areas of: Motivation, Mindfulness, Health and Fitness.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Trello – Eric’s small business resource
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience – Eric’s Top Business Book
Mindful Tech Lab – Eric’s website
Connect with Eric on Twitter
Get your 31-day high intensity workout challenge for FREE at TheMindfulTechLab.com/fire
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
3 Value Bombs
1) Prepare for the worst and ask the tough questions that will make you better.
2) Build an existing channel where people already are.
3) Successful people are able to take a step back and find a positive and productive path forward, regardless of how rough the road may seem.
DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
School of Rock: A children’s services franchise where you’ll get to pass the torch of musicality to a new generation of musicians AND operate a profitable business at the same time! To learn more visit Franchising.SchoolOfRock.com, contact the School of Rock team, and tell them Entrepreneurs on Fire sent you!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:58] – Eric is married to his business partner and best friend
[01:10] – Eric spends most of his time working on fintech: building technology for some of the world’s biggest financial institutions
- The daily retention rate was high and Eric saw it as an opportunity
[02:41] – Chatbots allow you to have a conversational experience with technology
[03:11] – Eric believes that every company needs a chatbot strategy
- People communicate with Eric’s bot like it’s a human
- Chatbots are a great way to gather data
[05:04] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In 2013, Eric and his colleague had the idea of starting AbridgeMe, which is the short-form version of Wikipedia – in news form. They were working on this as a side project. After the initial traction, the costs got higher, leading them to have to raise funds. After thousands of meetings, they were not able to raise enough funds
[07:03] – “You’ve got to take a step back, get out of your own head, get out of the proverbial company’s head, and answer those tough questions”
[08:06] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: After Eric and his colleague launched an app for AbridgeMe, it was difficult for them to get traffic for the app through SEO alone. They thought of doing a weekly email newsletter, which worked well and was the cheapest route
[10:45] – The challenge of a voice-activated device is that the user has to be proactive in talking to the device
[11:43] – “Flash briefing” is how people start their day
[13:11] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Conversational interfaces”
- All companies will have chatbots in the future
[17:09] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The crutch of what most people would think of as success in the corporate world”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Underpromise, overdeliver”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Meditation”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trello
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience – “I never understood why I sometimes would be in an incredibly focused state – until I read this book”
[19:23] – You may not be able to control everything that comes into your personal and business life, but you can control how you REACT and the ACTIONS you will take
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!