Eric is the Founder of The Mindful Tech Lab, a company whose technology applications have helped over 1 million people improve their lives in the areas of: Motivation, Mindfulness, Health and Fitness.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Eric shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:58] – Eric is married to his business partner and best friend
- [01:10] – Eric spends most of his time working on fintech, building technology for some of the world’s biggest financial institutions
- 01:35 – Eric recently launched a Facebook Messenger chat bot, MotivateBot, that sends a motivational quote every morning
- [01:47] – The daily retention rate was high and Eric saw it as an opportunity
- 02:03 – Eric and his wife launched MeditateBot, which has helped people form a daily habit
- [02:41] – Chatbots allow you to have a conversational experience with the technology
- [03:11] – Eric believes that every company needs a chat bot strategy
- 05:04 – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In 2013, Eric and his colleague had the idea of starting AbridgeMe, which is the short-form version of Wikipedia in news form. They were working on this as a side project. After the initial traction, the costs got higher leading them to raising funds. After thousands of meetings, they were not able to raise enough funds
- [07:03] – “You got to take a step back, get out of your own head, get out of the proverbial company’s head, if you will, and answer those tough questions”
- [08:06] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: After Eric and his colleague launched an app for Abridge Me, it was difficult for them to get traffic for the app through SEO alone. They thought of doing a weekly, email newsletter which worked well and was the cheapest route
- [10:45] – The challenge of a voice-activated device is that the user has to be proactive in talking to the device
- [11:43] – Flash briefing is how people start their day
- [13:11] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Conversational interfaces”
- [14:26] – All companies will have chatbots in the future
- [17:09] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The crutch of what most people would think of as success in the corporate world”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Underpromise, overdeliver”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Meditation”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trello
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience – “I never understood why I sometimes would be at an incredibly focused state until I read this book”
- [19:23] – You may not be able to control everything that comes into your personal and business life, but you can control how you REACT and the ACTION you will take
- 19:51 – Connect with Eric through his Twitter and website
- 20:06 – Head on to MindfulTechLab.com/fire for some goodies and a 31-day high intensity workout challenge for FREE
3 Key Points:
- Prepare for the worst and ask the tough questions that will make you better.
- Build an existing channel where people already are.
- Successful people are able to take a step back and find a positive and productive path forward, regardless of how rough the road may seem.
- Trello – Eric’s small business resource
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience – Eric’s Top Business Book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Mindful Tech Lab – Eric’s website
- Connect with Eric on his Twitter
- Get your 31-day high intensity workout challenge for FREE at TheMindfulTechLab.com/fire
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 4 FREE courses for you!
- DesignCrowd: If you’re not much of a designer, but are looking for ideas for your next logo, websites design or even your new business cards, then DesignCrowd can help! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire for a special one $100 VIP offer for Fire Nation!
- School of Rock: A children’s services franchise where you’ll get to pass the torch of musicality to a new generation of musicians AND operate a profitable business at the same time! To learn more visit Franchising.SchoolOfRock.com, contact the School of Rock team, and tell them Entrepreneurs on Fire sent you!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2)The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Podcast Course: Create, Grow and monetize YOUR Podcast!