Hooman Radfar is a serial entrepreneur, investor, and the co-founder and CEO of Collective. He previously co-founded AddThis (exit: Oracle), the largest platform on the web to help drive traffic and engagement for marketers. He was also a founding partner at Expa, a platform started by Uber co-founder Garrett Camp, to support entrepreneurs by building and investing in their companies. He was an early investor and adviser in category defining companies like Uber, Hinge, Sweetgreen, Onfido and Convoy. Hooman co-founded Collective to create a better future workplace by supporting the largest class of entrepreneurs in the world – businesses-of-one.
Hooman’s Facebook – Checkout Hooman on Facebook.
Hooman’s Instagram – Follow Hooman on Instagram.
Collective – Collective is the first online back-office platform designed for self-employed people.
3 Value Bombs
1) To anyone who has that spirit and wants to be an entrepreneur, the tools are there. It’s never been easier to build a company from the perspective of having the right tools in place.
2) Remote is irreversible and an accelerating trend. It’s something that if you don’t factor in everything that you’re doing, you’re not going to come up with the right strategy.
3) America is built on entrepreneurship. Immigrants come with nothing, build businesses and create wealth, and that’s what makes America great.
CrowdHealth: Now there’s a better way to pay for healthcare: CrowdHealth! Sign up today to get your first month free when you use promo code FIRE at JoinCrowdHealth.com! CrowdHealth is not health insurance. Terms & Conditions may apply.
Stamps.com: Stop wasting time going to the Post office and go to Stamps.com instead! Get a 4-week trial PLUS free postage and a digital scale when you visit Stamps.com, click on the microphone at the top of the homepage, and type in FIRE!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: The Future of Work.
[1:17] – Hooman shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- Work-life balance is a dynamic principle versus static.
[2:46] – Moving from Iran, to UK, to USA… Hooman shares his journey.
- His parents planned to move to the USA during the revolution in Iran.
- It’s interesting to try and approach the world from so many different lenses – as Persian, as immigrant, as a guy from Pennsylvania, and as an entrepreneur.
[5:03] – Being an early investor
- So much of your life is a culmination of your choices prior.
- He fell in love with startups during college.
- People like to talk about what they need to do to invest. A lot of it is knowing what you did beforehand. Knowing what experiences you’ve built, what value you’ve created, or what network you have activated such that you’re valuable and that your network provides that opportunity.
[7:33] – Hooman’s favorite story about investing.
- Convoy is near and dear to his heart for a number of reasons.
- They took the concept from Uber and built something similar.
- You have to keep your mind open and invite the universe in, then the magic happens.
[14:05] – Work trends and what the future holds.
- All of us are acutely aware of the accelerating phase and change of future work.
- We went through a pandemic and all of us wondered, what happens if everyone has to go remote all at the same time? If you don’t acknowledge that reality, then you don’t really understand the future of work.
- Remote is irreversible and an accelerating trend. It’s something that if you don’t factor in everything that you’re doing, you’re not going to come up with the right strategy.
- If you’re a small business, you may need to take advantage of talents in different states. All things being equal, you may start to open up to contractors.
[17:17] – The passion economy as the new American dream.
- America is built on entrepreneurship. Immigrants come with nothing, build businesses and create wealth, and that’s what makes America great.
- On the revenue side, there’s an emergence of marketplaces such as Upwork and Uber. There’s so many vertical marketplaces that enables talented people who want to run businesses to connect with opportunities for revenue.
- There’s a rise in tools that enables more people to run their business and generate revenue.
[21:15] – Hooman’s key takeaway and call to action for Fire nation!
- To anyone who has that spirit and wants to be an entrepreneur, the tools are there. It’s never been easier to build a company from the perspective of having the right tools in place.
- Hooman’s Facebook – Checkout Hooman on Facebook.
- Hooman’s Instagram – Follow Hooman on Instagram.
- Collective – Collective is the first online back-office platform designed for self-employed people.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!