Seth Godin is the founder of the now independent altMBA and The Akimbo Workshops, online seminars that have transformed the work of thousands of people. He’s also founded several companies, including Yoyodyne and Squidoo. He has written 20 books that have been bestsellers around the world and have been translated into more than 35 languages.
Sandeep Ramchandani is a global thought leader in the web services business and through his (almost two decade long) experience in the space. Today he serves as the CEO of Radix, an internet domain registry which offers fresh new domain endings like .store, .online, .tech and .fun. Today, over 5 million domains from Radix are in use, primarily by small business users. Radix is currently the global leader in the New Registry space with over 25% market share.
Ideato.Store – Your idea can win you up to $30,000 & a chance to be on TV! Enter for your chance to win today!
Radix Website – Domain names for the new internet.
The Akimbo Workshops – Because your best work can’t wait.
3 Value Bombs
1) The purpose of work is to have life, not the other way around.
2) Be very picky in choosing who you want to work with.
3) The most effective stories are not about you, they are about your customers.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Ignite Your Online Business
[2:15] – It’s been quite a year+ for most people, and the ‘great resignation’ is all the buzz these days… Why do you think some people are deciding now is the time to start their own online business versus going down the more traditional path of the now infamous 9-5 job?
- Seth: We had our lives turned upside down. The purpose of work is to have life, not the other way around. We choose to build something we are proud of.
- Sandeep: One way to determine human happiness is success, access to community, and to do what we want, when we want, and with whom we want.
- What Covid did was push people to create their side gigs. People tried to figured how to earn online. When they were able to find it, it became increasingly difficult to go back to a 9-5 job.
[5:38] – Sandeep, what would be your top 1 or 2 recommendations for someone who is looking to start their online business today?
- Spend a good amount of time in choosing what you want to be doing. Something about your passion and expertise.
- Be very picky in choosing who you want to work with.
- Figure out what type of interaction gives you pleasure. Find something that other people aren’t eager to have as their hobby.
[11:14] – Seth, standing out from your competition is tough these days. If someone listening had minimum access to monetary resources – and resources in general – what are some ways they can still market effectively to compete with the big boys and girls?
- What you actually sell, whether it is products or services, is the story people tell themselves about it. And making and living a story doesn’t cost money at all.
- It is important to pick a very specific segment and commit yourself wholeheartedly.
- Pick a specialization and become the best possible service provider in that space.
[14:45] – Failure is the fate of most businesses, and the % of successful companies only decreases as they grow older. Seth, why do so many businesses fail?
- The most effective stories are not about you, they are about your customers.
- If you understand who you want to serve, your business will not fail.
- It is important to be prepared to face business challenges.
[17:11] – Sandeep and Seth’s key takeaways and call to action for Fire Nation.
- Sadeep’s key takeaway: it is really important to find something that the world values. Two factors that can determine your success are: what you do, and who you do it with.
- Seth’s key takeaway: stop hiding. The magic is that you have the freedom to persist and to learn.
- Ideato.Store – Your idea can win you up to $30,000 & a chance to be on TV! Enter for your chance to win today!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!