Jaime is an amateur hockey player and starter geek who founded Slapshot Studio in 2013. He wanted a business that combined his life of hockey with building websites, and thus the Slapshot Studio brand was born. He grew the company based on his signature customer service and DIY get-it-done style.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- 17Hats and Redbooth – Jaime’s small business resources
- Deep Work by Cal Newport – Jaime’s Top Business Book
- Slapshot Studio – Jaime’s website
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
3 Key Points:
- Do not be afraid to put yourself out there and start your own business.
- Have the right perspective and be appreciative of what you have.
- Take action EVERY DAY.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Organifi: I’ve been researching plant-based supplements that will help me not just feel my best, but also perform my best, and Organifi’s protein is smooth, filling and the vanilla flavor is yummy! See for yourself: visit Organifi.com and save 20% with promo code FIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:10] – Jaime joined the Army in 1990 with the 92nd Airborne and didn’t know what to do when he left 3 years later
- [01:50] – In 1994, Jaime started doing marketing and advertising work for a Fortune 500 company and stayed there for 12 years
- [02:03] – Jaime got tired of the work because he could not be creative and so he decided to start his own company
- [02:40] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: With Slapshot Studio, Jaime’s expertise lies within WordPress development. He really enjoys and loves his current work
- [03:22] – Jaime says it is important to establish a brand profile before you start building your website
- [04:36] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: One of the biggest challenges for Jaime was wondering if he had what it took. In 2006, he started a real estate-based ad agency and it started out well. In 2008, the real estate bubble burst and they lost all their clients within 3 months. Jaime lost everything – he was homeless and had no money to buy food
- [06:03] – Jaime’s friend drove from Modesto, California to Sacramento and brought him a bag of groceries
- [06:15] – That difficult time serves as motivation for Jaime and makes him appreciative of what he has now
- [06:42] – The Mastery and Freedom Journal start with you recognizing things you are grateful for
- [07:11] – Biggest Lesson Learned: Jaime learned to never take anything for granted
- [07:37] – Jaime had a conversation with a friend who was in the Air Force Reserves for 28 years and they talked about how awesome America is, but how so many people just take things for granted
- [07:45] – Former general John Bradley shared a story with Jaime about a girl in Afghanistan who just had sandals and who was living in a literal mud house without windows
- [08:59] – It took Jaime being homeless to realize how good people in America have it
- [09:17] – JLD shares that in the past people had to trek 6 miles to get water, but now we are past that and there are many technological advances in place so we can focus on what we want to do
- [10:04] – Have the right perspective and be thankful for what you have
- [10:25] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Jaime was working in advertising for radio and was stifled by the limitations and red tape. A lot of people were asking him to build their website for them. He thought of charging for it and integrated ice hockey into his branding and it took off
- [12:35] – “We don’t think we’re good enough, but in all actuality, we are amazing”
- [13:21] – There are many hidden experts right now, they just have to take action and move forward
- [13:50] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? Building and rebranding the new website. We just redid our logo
- [15:10] – We have a personality profile to find out what hockey player you are most like
- [15:48] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? –“Wondering if I am good enough”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “You don’t see yourself as others do”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I’m really good at implementing my new ideas”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – 17Hats and Redbooth
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Deep Work by Cal Newport – “It really dives into how to take a break”
- 17:52 – Check Slapshot Studio to take advantage of Jaime’s offer
- [18:28] – Appreciate what you have. Within the next 24 hours, write down the top five things that you need to complete and do them!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!