Jana is the Founder of the daily deal website Steals.com. Founded in 2008, she turned her idea into a multi-million dollar enterprise without loans or investors. She is an Entrepreneur of the Year Finalist in Utah, a mom of 3, and known for using social media to create genuine relationships with her fans.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Slack– Jana’s small business resource
- Permission Marketing – Jana’s top business book
- Steals.com – Jana’s daily deals site
3 Key Points:
- Create what you need. The chances are, other people need it too.
- Choose the right business partner. Businesses succeed or fail on the strength of a founding partnership.
- Running a business means making tough decisions. Step back and make the choice that’s right for the company – even if it’s tough.
- LawTrades – Legal protection for your business. Fire Nation, get $100 off your first legal project today at LawTrades.com/fire!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:14] – Jana started her business in 2008 with a desktop computer and $5k
- [02:18] – Acquired the domain after setting up JustBabySteals.com
- [03:08] – Bought hundreds of domains the night before she started
- [03:35] – Steals.com domain was offered to her for $289k – she paid $87k
- [05:23] – Generates revenue from selling products to consumers
- [07:49] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Laying off an employee who was an executive in the company
- [11:45] – “You may be giving someone a gift when you make a hard decision”
- [17:11] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: The moment she realized that the site she needed didn’t exist
- [20:10] – Keep your eyes open – see the opportunities around you
- [20:55] – What has Jana most fired up today? “Planning to take on investment and see how big we can get”
- [23:53] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Not believing I could actually do it”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Jana, you really need to be in sales”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Daily discipline. If I’m working towards a goal, I don’t go to bed until I’ve taken a step towards it”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Slack
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Permission Marketing
- [24:53] – Parting piece of guidance: “Never give equity in your company to someone who has skills that you can simply hire and fire”
- 25:31 – Connect with Jana on Twitter and Snapchat
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Webinar Course: Create a Webinar that converts!